OEM+

SussexSlammer

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
In an attempt to keep everything Yamaha while also gaining horsepower, I recently scored a set of 77 XS750 carbs for 25 bucks from a local pick and pull. Next step is to find yamaha's hotter XS400 cam. Is there anything else I can consider engine wise without having an insane amount of machining done? I haven't dug around too much on the web, as the "xs400 performance" related searches in google haven't brought a whole lot up. Its an 81 single cam and i'd like to keep this bike as Yamaha as possible

What's the benefit of the 750 carbs? Need modification to remove the 3rd carb body?

Why xs750 carbs? They will need mods and different needle jets and needles to work on a xs400. The xs400 u.s. cam is the "hot" cam.

A few people mentioned them on some fairly old threads as an alternative to running 360 carbs. For the price I got them for up gladly keep them on my shelf until I can find a use for them.

I very doubt a 2hp increase from indexing. I have done this with all my bike for years and it will make for a better burn on the plug and a little better running bike but power numbers are very very small. Racers say there are almost no change in track times from it. Using iridium plugs can get you hp increases.

Lol. It's .2hp. As in, 0.2hp. But even then I was slightly exaggerating. I was getting curious about port work on the heads at one point.. I also thought of using a 400 cam in my bike, since I have a 360 I though I'd get more lift.

My carb confusion came from a discussion about the xs360 carbs. Apparently parts are interchangeable between the 750 carbs and the 360 carbs. It sounded like the discussion was based more on the diaphragms themselves though. I've considered upgrading to a set of mikuni round slides as well, but my goal is to keep my build as factory Yamaha as possible.

Indexing the plugs is something I haven't been told to do in a long time, kudos! But that's something I've done on every aircooled bike I've owned.. so I suppose I should follow suit on this one.

My engine currently runs strong, but the threads feel too soft for their own good for the plugs. My initial plan was to pull the jugs off so I can helicoil those threads and clean all the gunk off my head.

I haven't been able to find much info on the cams to be honest. But there's enough people who want the dang things so I figured I should too. I also heard there's a significant weight difference between the 360 crank and 400 crank. Is the stroke of the rotating assembly any different from the two? And how is the interchangeability? My first bike was an rd250. When I sold it, the friend I sold it to slabbed some 350 parts on there and it became a stroker of sorts. Are there any similar scenarios with this engine?

I've also considered dropping the deck height on the head while it's off of there and having a 3 angle valve job performed at the same time. But that's money I really don't need to spend on a bike that'll always be "slow".

Back