off run off switch

ksrebel

XS400 Member
Reaction score
On a 1981. Eliminated the off/run switch. In headlight where the r/w wires plugged into main harness, I tied off the hot side and connected the cold side to the brown wire coming off the ignition switch. I chose the brown wire as it is only hot when the key is on. Starter button was replaced with a dirt bike switch. B/W wire from oem starter button was connected to ground. With key turned on, the bike starts and runs.
The problem is with this set up, while operational, it drains the battery when sitting. I did notice when I tested the coils that there was static electricity jumping off the frame. Disconnected the positive cable from battery. After several days, the battery charge was fine. Have now disconnected starter button and will re-check charge later. Will disconnect r/w from brown keyed wire next.

I did not write that up correctly. The r/w wire from the old switch was connected to the blue wire off of the ignition switch. I have at different times disconnected everything and then retested the battery. The only time the battery discharges is if the smaller red wire that runs from the positive terminal is connected into the harness. When connected I get .30 volts coming into the frame. I placed the tester on the negative terminal and to the frame to get the .30 reading. Any ideas on how this is happening?

what help??

good that you figured it out! :) I really had no clue but I'm surprised nobody responded

Back