Ohh Man, My Tank lining is coming apart

arfstrom

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So last year a friend of mine gets me a kit, to put a plastic lining in my fuel tank, So today, I finally take the bike out,:bike: and run it hard, stop by the gas station to brag about my bike, and check the fuel tank to see this!:wtf: Good thing I already have a in-Line filter. Locally a used tank at the bike salvage yard wanted $75, to $100. for a replacement tank, Any suggestions, Right now I am thinking re-do the plastic kote ing.

Any one have a suggestion what I did wrong in the first place, I am sure it had plenty of curing time. This was done last year inbetween projects. so I am sure it had plenty of time to cure.

Attachments

• GEDC0322.jpg
    GEDC0322.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 224
  • GEDC0321.jpg
    GEDC0321.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 231
  • GEDC0318.jpg
    GEDC0318.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 238
  • GEDC0314.jpg
    GEDC0314.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 246
looks like it wasn't prepped properly. ther should be an etching primer in the kit as well as a rust neutraliser.

POR 15 is the industry standard

Did you get ethanol proof liner?

:doh:After using a long nose/ Long handled needle nose pliers, I got this much out, and then some. Off to work. thanks again.
tobie

Attachments

• GEDC0001.jpg
    GEDC0001.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 223
it might have had less to do with what you did wrong and more with the quality of the product. what brand did you use? although it's really popular, Kreem is considered by many to be the worst. +1 for POR 15.

Last edited:
:banghead:Yup, I used Kreem. Seems I have one more winter project coming up.

replace Clutch springs/plates, leaky seals and gaskets, change oil and now Tank refinish. POR-15 here I come.

Back