Oil change problem

Kr lip

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey got a problem. I just did the first oil Change on my 77 360. I also did the filter I put it 2.4 qt in and it's reading high on dip stick no sight glass. I had to drain it from what I believe is the oil pressure fitting on left side of motor cause drain plug on bottom was frozen and I did not want to strip it. My worry is its over full cause it reads high but the info I found said 2.4 with filter. Any advice would be great thank you

Last edited:
kick the bike over a few times with the ignition off to let the oil circulate and get into the filter area.

check again, you should be ok

Thank you it was over full I checked the drain pan I used and there was almost no oil in it. I ended up siphoning some out of the fill hole cause drain plug is rounded off so next oil change I need a new plug thank again

weld a nut on it, that'll shift it off and get one of those magnetic ones.
you could always undo the oil screen filter cover, messy but I bet you haven't cleaned that?
bolts are only lightley tightened

I'll keep that in mind I'm going to try vice grips first as for screen the bolts holding that on don't look good so I didn't want to touch that yet. is the seal for the plate that holds the screen on reusable or would I have to get one or make one. Thanks again

OK thank you I'll order one for next oil change I ride the 360 every day to work and back about 38 miles round trip i put almost 1000 miles on it in a few months I had the clutch cable snap on me today had to call the wife to save me. I grabbed a temporary repair kit on my way home so I got to order one of this also.
Got to love old bikes.

all part of the fun, i've been chasing electrical gremlins on the fZ today, turns out it was the ignition switch only took 2 hours to find :D

Back