Oil Filter housing, why do you forsake me??? HELP!

shamus

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So, after a week of pain, I can't take it anymore. The bolt on my oil filter housing refuses to budge. I've taken PB BLASTER to it, an impact gun, JB Weld, called a machine shop, and went to a welder to have a wrench welded on, but it's too close to aluminum. I completely stripped the thing trying to get it off. Tried cutting the bolt head off, but the bolt head and washer are one piece. I think all i can do at this point is drill it out. I would be so thankful if someone can take a picture of the inside of their filter housing, just so I know what I'm up against and where to drill. I'm at my wits end, and this silly little bolt has delayed my project for a week.

This is all the manual shows:
7203370950_aea569a1eb_z.jpg

This is when I was notching it out to put my impact gun on there. The circles are the engine mounts that are blocked by the filter, rendering it impossible to remove the engine from the frame without the removal of the cover.
7176270448_c1a556225e.jpg

PLEASE HELP.

If the welder can't weld the wrench because it is too close to the aluminum, try having him weld a big nut right on top of the stripped nut. Start the weld on the inside of the new nut where it meets the top of the old nut. Any decent MIG welder should be able to do this without damaging the aluminum. Immediately after welding the nut on try getting the bolt out. The heat from welding will also help break things loose.

I took houghmade's advice and just cut it off with a saws all and it came off nicely. Figure I had to buy a new bolt anyway so may as well replace the whole unit. Thanks for your help, guys.

If you haven't cut it off or tried this yet, cut a deep groove straight down the middle of the bolt; I usually use a dremel for this. Insert a large flat head screw driver or pry bar with a flat head socket. Alternatively I have struck loose a few stubborn bolts by pounding the screw driver like a chisel in the groove at an angle. This method has never failed for me save for the few recessed bolts with no access to cut the groove.

By large screw driver I am talking about something at least a foot long or more and burly.

Back