Oil pressure gauge

01ps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
After my experience with installing a voltage gauge, and Drewpy showing us his oil pressure gauge, I decided to try an OP gauge myself. I had an old one laying around that read up to 80psi an it had the right fittings so I tried it.

Contrary to what I thought (that these engine are a low presure system), it jumped right up to about 70psi at idle. I took it for a ride and it actually seems to have broken the gauge becuase now it goes way past where it is supposed to.

Now, the gauge could be a piece of crap, since it was just laying around, so I am going to try another gauge tommorow.

Also, I am running 20w50 right now, so that will bump the pressure too.

I'd run 15w 40,but it's your bike so use what you want.The 15w40 is for diesel motors and cars,so it has more zinc and other additives for metal to metal contact.You'll get more oil pressure from heavier oil,but less flow. lha

I installed a 100 psi gauge and it works great, runs at about 70-80 cold, and drops a bit when hot. As lhaolpa suggested, I may run a different grade of oil next OC.

Are you talking automotive oil or bike oil? I thought we had to run 4 stroke motorcycle oil in these bikes for the sake of the wet clutch?

Here is what I came up with for a gauge setup. It puts out about 70psi cold at idle and goes down some when warm. I am now running 15w40 diesel oil instead of the 20/50 I was before.

Attachments

• op.jpg
    op.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 645
  • op2.jpg
    op2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 671
  • op3.jpg
    op3.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 566
looks familiar :D

its quite low down there, is it ok to read on the move?

I see you shortened the feed pipe, did you just use plumbers solder with some flux?

looks familiar :D

its quite low down there, is it ok to read on the move?

I see you shortened the feed pipe, did you just use plumbers solder with some flux?
It's easy to read, quite visable. I didn't shorten the tube, other than cutting it for length with a tubing cutter. Unless you are referring to the brazed end of the mount, which is made out of 3/8 brake line.

This is a good thread, I was curious about how much oil pressure would be normal on one of these. I would love to have a real gauge on mine because my light is staying on and I am hoping it's and electric thing and not really an oil thing. I like the lace paint job as well, got anymore pics? Looks like a cool bike.

This is a good thread, I was curious about how much oil pressure would be normal on one of these. I would love to have a real gauge on mine because my light is staying on and I am hoping it's and electric thing and not really an oil thing. I like the lace paint job as well, got anymore pics? Looks like a cool bike.
I would think[may be wrong]that a regular oil pressure gauge from an auto parts store would work,as long as you can get the right fittings.If you do that,I would spend a bit more money for a copper line,as they are a bit more rugged,and secure it to the frame or something with zip ties so that it doesn't get caught up on something.Another advantage to the copper cappilary tube is that if it is broken you can bend it over on itself and get home without spewing all your oil all over the street. lha

O for sure copper is the only way to go, they won't let you race with that plastic garbage, not that I am going to race the bike I feel better with the 4 wheeled variety for that. I think I have an old 100 psi Stewart Warner laying around and having visions of a nice bracket coming off the case hardware.

Back