oil pressure switch

ksrebel

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Switch shot craps. Part is obsolete have not been able to find an OEM replacement. Is there a switch from another bike, not a Yamaha, that will fit? Anyone know the thread size? Thanks

I checked flea bay for the switch. Don't want to buy used. I know there are NOS switches for sale. I don't understand the price but Yamaha thought it was worth $125 back in the day.
If you are easily offended stop reading now. Too many people miss the point on these forums.
The xs400 when new was a parts bin bike. Today due to a lack of essential parts it is a throw away bike. However its best use for me is as an experimental platform. I enjoy the challenge of keeping the thing going with the least amount of dollars invested. If a cheap replacement switch can be found and used I will post it here. No need to spend 50 when 15 will do.

Last edited:
Pulled a switch off of a 76 550k Honda. Works perfectly. Can be found selling for anywhere between 12 to 30 bucks. Depends on if it is original Honda or repop.

Ok so I suggested a used OEM switch for $12, you said you didn't want used, but then bought a used switch off of another bike for the same price. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Ok so I suggested a used OEM switch for $12, you said you didn't want used, but then bought a used switch off of another bike for the same price. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

My first question would be what are the open and close pressures on the "new" switch and are they the same or very close to the original switch?

Next question would one like this work:

oil%20pressure%20switch.jpg

Last edited:
NO, I did not buy used off another bike. I own several old Hondas and experimented with what was on hand. I have since purchased new and am running with it. Don't assume facts that are not in evidence.
As to the pressures involved, I have no clue. The original xs switch was used on multiple bikes from twins to 1100cc inline fours. The Honda replacement is the same way, many different models including twins and fours.
On first start after installing the Honda switch, it shut off at about 12-1400 rpm. About the same as the original.
If you don't feel comfortable, shell out the big money for OEM Yamaha parts.

One more thing. The pitch of the thread is a .9 metric fine. Both switches are made by Nippon Denso.

One more thing. The pitch of the thread is a .9 metric fine. Both switches are made by Nippon Denso.

Any chance you have the Honda or aftermarket part number so others could save some money?
Also if .9 mm thread pitch what might the diameter be and is it straight thread with a gasket/oring or tapered thread?

Last edited:
factory #37240-P13-013. Might have trouble finding a repop right now. Siriusconinc will have them in march. 4into1 also out of stock for repop. Factory Honda can be found and are quite common.

diameter is about 9.5mm or .384 inces appears to be straight I see no taper installed with minimal Teflon tape and carefully snugged up

Last edited:
diameter is about 9.5mm or .384 inces appears to be straight I see no taper installed with minimal Teflon tape and carefully snugged up

That sounds very close to the size given for the switch I posted in message #7. That one shows as having 1/8-28 BSPT and along with other applications it is listed as the switch for a few Japanese autos. It is a normally closed switch with an opening pressure of 3-5 psi. If there is room and someone wanted a switch with a stud that takes an 8-32 nut the part number for that one is OP6075. I know if I needed a new switch I would lean very heavy in the direction of one of those before buying a used switch of Ebay for the same price or pay the price Yamaha is asking for a new one if one can be found.

You said the switch you have has a thread pitch of .9 MM a 28 threads per inch thread converts to .907 MM thread pitch, not sure a simple thread gauge would show that fine a difference. That's less than .0003 inch difference!

Hope everyone understands that I'm not trying to be argumentative here just trying to help come up with a possible alternative to a very over priced OEM part.

I'm with you. Why pay a fortune to keep a throw away bike going. I used mine all last year without a working switch. Using a Honda style switch is no problem. I used a really cheap thread gauge to determine the pitch so close is good enough.

Back