Oiling the points wick

mcrowell75

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What should I use to oil the wick?

Mine has gone bone dry and the heels have left a red dust around the points compartment.

I will stand by for a knowledgeable answer as well as the barrage of juvenile jokes I'm sure I have coming.
:D

Attachments

• DSCN1456.JPG
    DSCN1456.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 240
Silicone grease works as, i think, it is recommended but here in Germany ther are many using simple and regular engine-oil. I use it too and it works :wink2: Greets from Munich Hannes

Dialectric grease should be fine- I used regular wheel bearing grease, which also seems to work fine...and for the sake of all that is good and holy, don't let your wick get dry again....causes awful chafing.

Thanks everyone. I actually have a can of the diaelectric silicone.

I'm hoping to get this thing on the road very soon. Not looking good right now. The P.O. really under estimated the amount of maintenance this bike was in need of.

The P.O. really under estimated the amount of maintenance this bike was in need of.

Most people do.:doh:

Yep, the old fashion way is to use motor oil. Now, if you use full synthetic motor oil, it will reduce friction, make the point fiber block last forever and give you 10 more HP! LOL

I've used dialectric grease and 3 in 1 oil. I think the important thing is that no matter what you use, use it sparingly...

use either Harley-Davidson or Delco point cam grease then your 400 will run like a Harley or a (isn't Delco) Ford? not sure if that would be good or not :yikes: any way there is specially formulated greases for points/cams

Back