okay okay ill keep it stock but...

thielb

maxim
Reaction score
So I had my 82 xs400j maxim out this weekend and enjoyed it an awful lot. My first ever significant cruising. :bike: I've been asking questions here and there on this fantastic forum about performance upgrades for the bike such as pods, exhaust, and jets. After finding out how unpleasant this can all be for a guy new to bike work especially with the dohc maxim, I'm pushing off all concern with actual performance upgrades for now and plan on rocking a good running stock bike. Figure Dave is happy to hear about that, I keep seeing him stick up for stock bikes that the other new guys and I are introducing to the forum :wink2: But it's not like me to not tinker. As you can see in the pics, the bike is in good condition except for the big dent in the right side of the tank. But lets be serious, that old maroon paint is pretty...well...unpleasant. I WILL be repainting the bike and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with some sort of orange to get it a bit more exciting looking. The third pic is sort of a ball park goal of mine that I found on some other site. I'll probably wrap the headers though, not a fan of the painted headers.
So everything is going to stay cosmetic so I don't go and ruin my bike. New paint, wrapped headers, and taking off that ugly windscreen. Can I get some opinion on paint color? Any other easy cosmetic upgrades/tips? If I'm going stock, I at least wanna look good :wink2: Looking for some good opinion and recommendation here!

Attachments

• Image044.jpg
    Image044.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Image045.jpg
    Image045.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 340
  • FINALGOAL@xs400.jpg
    FINALGOAL@xs400.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 302
Wise decision! :thumbsup:

If you will be riding in the spring, rain, or fall, that windshield will be a blessing. There is a reason they were installed. Remove it carefully so you can put it back on when you change your mind about it. :)

Wise decision! :thumbsup:

If you will be riding in the spring, rain, or fall, that windshield will be a blessing. There is a reason they were installed. Remove it carefully so you can put it back on when you change your mind about it. :)

:laugh: my old man said the exact same thing!:laugh: I'll just try without it for a bit, see what works. I'm sure once I take debris and gravel to the chest n face from heavy highway traffic for the first time, I'll be tempted to put it right back on :wink2: Removing it and putting it back on wont be an issue, I watched it get put on. Super simple. Couple clamps and a couple arms to the headlight. Piece of cake. I'd be more tempted to just leave it if it was in better condition, it's pretty scratched up and a little warped. We'll see. I'm more concerned about a good paintjob and a clean all-around look.

Mine is far from stock, but I really went through all of the effort because most of the stock parts were in such poor condition when I originally got the bike. Also, I like working on motorcycles and it gives me something to do in my free time :)

My other motorcycles that I purchased in very good condition have only ever received minor modifications; bolt-ons really.

Taking gravel,bugs etc to the face and body is not fun.I found out recently I need a good pair or riders gloves.A dam rock or something smacked my hand.Not fun riding in the rain either.

Last edited:
Back