Okie XS Build

seedubya

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I've been bummin around this site just absorbing every last thing I can. Thought Id post some pics of my build. It all started with a $75 divorce special 1980 XS400. Newly used cdi box and voltage regulator, a good old fashioned carb cleaning, set the floats to 26mm, 3 1/4 turns out on each air/fuel screws, a homemade temporary gas tank, and the ole beater started immediately and idled perfectly. Now we're striping it down to the frame and I plan on contacting Travis for his hardtail kit, and see where we end up after that. Thanks for all your help and Ill keep you up to date on the work.

Seedubya

Attachments

• Begining.jpg
    Begining.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 238
  • crowded.jpg
    crowded.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 239
  • late night.jpg
    late night.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 218
  • stripped.jpg
    stripped.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Motorless.jpg
    Motorless.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 210
  • the stable.jpg
    the stable.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 239
Shes Naked! Holy hell there's a couple ball bearings in that neck haha.

Attachments

• naked.jpg
    naked.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 203
Not too long. Did it over a couple days but maybe 3hrs total. Holding your mouth just right to get the motor out was the most tedious part. That little 400 motor is heavier than I was expecting.

Yea, Ive seen some lay the bike down on its side and then lifting the frame off the engine. that may be easier in some cases - Thats how I will do mine i think..

The first time I pulled the motor I laid the bike down on its side, the second time I yanked it out while on the side stand. Doing it while the bike was upright was much easier for me. You pull it out on the right side. Also, I removed both side covers. This allowed me to hold it by the head with my left hand and the kick start shaft with my right hand. It's heavy, but I'm 6'0" tall and 175 lbs and have no problem lugging it around and putting it up on my work bench. Keep your back straight and get above it as much as you can.

I wish Christmas was as fun as opening big boxes with hard tail kits in them. Its fun explaining to your secretary why your excited about a box of "crooked pipe".

Attachments

• hardtail.jpg
    hardtail.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 204
Every christmas my eyes lit up when dad would come home with the box of crooked pipe. :laugh:

Lets catch everybody up... Stripped the motor, everything looked perfect, reassembled, started painting the block. Got the frame measured up, braced, and a jig built. I know its wood but it will work! Have faith. No turning back now!

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg