OMG What a RAT'S NEST! (Wiring)

MotorPsycho

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all your help. In the course of removing my stock battery box on my 81, I realized that there are a LOT more pieces of wiring and electrical components in that area than I thought. What in the world do I do with all that stuff to get it looking neat, outside of building a whole new wiring harness (which I cannot do)? The wires look good, no corrosion, just dusty. Can I just strip off all the tape and move it around and re-tape it or wrap it with something else to make it neater? I already plan on moving the ignition to a different location.

Can I do the same thing with that, strip the taping off, pull the correct wires (according to the diagrams on here - much thanks) back to where I need them, and re-tape or re-wrap?

As an aside, regarding the ignition, run/stop switch, and start switch, where do they originate? Is it back near the battery box location?

I plan on putting a custom battery box back in it, but I don't have a clue about what to do with all the things that were attached to the original.

Tips? Hints? Clues? Random insults?

Thanks for answering my inane questions. Steady as she goes!:bike:

If the tape is used to insulate the wires themselves, replace it with shrink tubing immediately! Tape can be used to tie the wires together into a bundle, but make sure you get really top quality for it since it'll have to last for a long time.

I'd say you'll be fine moving wiring around, as long as you keep an eye on what grounds where. Sometimes stuff grounds directly to the frame, and if you move it somewhere without adding a ground connection one way or another, things end up not working anymore for no apparent reason.

Good luck :)

you can get the special wiring tape to wrap the loom up.

Don't go for heat shrink as you would need to cut all the wire ends off to get the tubing on.

So, what did some of you guys do with all the small electrical boxes and such when cleaning up the area around the battery box? Just looking for some ideas. Thanks!

I run a combo reg/rec which cuts a lot away, 2 small relays for horn and light switching and 2 in line fuses and a battery.

I run a combo reg/rec which cuts a lot away, 2 small relays for horn and light switching and 2 in line fuses and a battery.

Wow, that really is minimalistic! I wish I could clean out that whole area and have that clean look, but I'm not sure I have the skills (yet) to pull it off. I'm gonna tackle it more this weekend after I get more supplies and extra wires (just in case).

Thank you sir!:thumbsup:

Back