Only 1 cylinder firing

sigsterrr

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So my right cylinder is firing and the left almost never does. The bike only idles regardless of throttle position. Left side is getting spark. Fires sporadically on the left. Help ...

Sounds like u need to clean your carbs out, the BS34's are very picky about being very clean.

check the floats, had a problem like this myself, the tang was a bit bent. I bent it back so the floats were sitting back to spec and she fired right up on both cylinder, something the bike hadn't done in apparently years according to the PO.:thumbsup:

I cleaned and readjusted the floats. Now for some reason the bike won't turn over. Seems like now I will be checking wires this afternoon if I have time.

The left side not firing was the first problem in the eventual demise of my CDI. Is the plug getting a spark? Try to eliminate electrical before carbs.

Yeah the spark plug was getting spark. it did spark at one of the connections (and no I could not tell which one at the time) and now my battery says 25 volts. Hoping my voltmeter is wrong so I will check the voltage on my trucks battery. Seems as I fix one thing, another breaks. Got the clipons in today so I want to get this thing done! Just been sick lately.

trust me, I understand. I have rebuilt the carbs, petcock, gone thru the electrical etc and rode it 30 miles only to have it dead the next day when my son came to ride it.

Back