Options???

dougster

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have just joined ( I am in the UK) after being given a 'project'!!!...It is an '81 XS400se custom...well it would be if it wernt missing some major components and be totally dismantled in a few plastic crates!!

SO my first question is regards the engine...I have the 400 cases..good barrels and head but missing the cam and the internals...I DO however have a 250 motor with good internals but a rubbish head!

Is it possible to swap out the internals from the 250 and put 400 pistons onto the 250 crank and conrods??..can I use the 250 camshaft???

Where in the UK can I get 400 pistons and piston rings?...I think it would be wise to have the barrels re honed so oversized would be needed...

Any advice appreciated!!

Hi and welcome! Regardless of it being a basket case, we'd still like to see some pictures.

Don't think I can help you with the 250 - 400 parts compatibility issues, but here's a list for part sources in the UK that Drewpy posted somewhere:

yambits

motoward

motolink

granbys

cmsnl

eBay

fowlers

Normally I refer newcomers to my new xs-owner's how-to but it wont help you much at this point in time :laugh:

Good luck!

I don't think 400 pistons will work in a 250 case because the 250 case is cut for smaller pistons. Do a search of the forum for this because I know this has been discussed before.

Thanks for the replies so far chaps....
XChris..I think I might have confused the issue!!
I want to put the internals from the 250 into the 400 cases (original numbered case for the frame I have).. so up to the piston will be all 250 parts ( crank.conrods.gears etc then 400 pistons/barrels/head...and a 250 cam....

Willem...will put up photos when available....Thanks for the links too

Parts missing are.....Front forks....hand controls (both sides)...Tank,,,Seat....Swing arm....So not too u much to start with on the bench!!...

so you got handed a few wheels and two halves of different bikes' engines?

oh and a frame then. LOL I think you'd be better off buying another bike and frankensteining the pile of parts together with that to produce a bike which works. Probably the cheapest way to go anyways..

There's a reasonable looking XS400 in Poole, has parts bike written all over it. Might be worth a go. Was posted on Gumtree a fortnight ago so might still be there.

If you do buy it sell me the Carbs :D

Yeah you might be right...kinda disillusioned now....goin through the boxes theres at least 4 cranks...4 gearsets.... couple of 250 heads...1x400 barrel and a 250barrell....and a 400 head.....and a set of carbs.. frame...wheels couple of wiring looms. alternators....couple of lutch sets....clocks...
no 400 pistons no tank no ars..no hand controls no seat .no mudguards ans so on....

so might just junk the lot and start afresh.....as theres loass missing!!!

I will get my cafe racer!!!......one day!..

I have some spares possibly for sale....some bits you mentioned missing. There's not a lot of UK guys on here so finding everything you need may be difficult. I have been looking for a set of 400 carbs for a while now.

I honestly think another complete bike is the way forward for you.

It seems so!!!
living where I live n deepest Wales there an xs400 is like hens teeth!!....Guess Ill have to keep my eyes peeled and have ebay permanently open!!

Nckso can you pm me with what poszible spares you might poszibly have!!...cheerz

Yeh an XS is a rare thing up here too.

Give me a list of what you need and I'll have a look at what I have, certainly have forks, tanks etc.

I'm offshore until the 27th-ish but will have a looky when I get back.

Willem, yeh currently rocking about the Norwegian sea on a Semi-Sub rig. Wild out here this week, done no work whatsoever, not likely to do any for another week at least.

wow yea it's nuts out there at the moment! I work as a geologist for a consultancy in the NL, so no offshore work for me but I've been to rigs and production facilities.

whats your job? roughneck?

Supposedly 12m max waves at the moment, not been outside for a few days but I'm going for a wander later to take a few pics. This shed is fair moving about just now that's for sure.

I run all the landing string tools and flow head into the hole and operate them while they are in there.

Hi dougster, I'm also new on here and attempting a build of my own my first ever to be exact I've got an xs 250 special that I'm gonna turn into a bobber with a motocross look, anyways I've changed my seat, tank, front forks with mudgaurd, hand controls, headlight, indicato so if you were interested I would sell some bits I know its a 250 but I believe most parts fit the 360 and 400 models. I'm in bristol so it's not that far from wales depending on how deep you are in

no worries guys!!!....I seem to get posts hijacked on a regular basis!!lol!!...

Jonsey....you have PM..

Back