Rabbit hole...

Jeff0133

XS400 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I tore down my donor bike mostly for its 18 inch wheels and engine. Since then, found 20 inch progressive fork springs, coils, reg/rec and so on....all for 100$
(See my all over the place thread....)

Now...the engine, I tore it apart cleaned everything, bought conrod bolts/bearings, new gaskets, seals, all stainless steel bolts, piston rings...etc
Painted with VHT flameproof, cured in the oven as per instructions.
As I was ready to put it back together, I started reading the forums here, XS650.com,XJBIKES.COM , just for fun.
And it is then that I disappeared into a rabbit hole...:yikes:
Maybe I could run my Maxims stock for the next summer...maybe the next too and gather parts for my SECA engine:
-GPZ 900 pistons and sleeves(machined to fit)
-XJR1300 connecting rods
-Flatslide carbs....or even....wait for it.... microsquirt?
-even looked at turbos and superchargers....but I want to keep it street legal.
Probably would have to port the head for it not to starve...but that's disputed depending on where you read...
I found that I really like playing with an engine and reading up on the ways to upgrade it.
I need you people to tell me not to do this...and...buy a bigger bike is not what I want to hear.
This is a kinda "fuck it, why not" thing...
Am I nuts?....am I missing something?
Anyway it is just fun tossing ideas around;)

Ditch the Turbo option, as it entails a lot of time and expense, for a relatively small boost in power to your rear wheel!

Merlin
one Turbo was used as a sprint bike in the UK, wouldn't have done that unless it gave a hefty increase in HP.
what HP were you getting on yours?

Ditch the Turbo option, as it entails a lot of time and expense, for a relatively small boost in power to your rear wheel!

Merlin
Ya...exactly what I was thinking...anyway I just found an -xj 1100 in mint condition the seller is asking 700$....a lot less than I would spend on the 400 engine for a lot less ponies...but like I said i'm just tossing ideas around...
I rebuilt my buddies Seca engine with new rings a fresh hone and a valve regrind/shiming...that and pods, a rejet, new exhaust should make it enough...

Like I said I got sucked down a rabbit hole...digging myself out of it by adding up the costs...and shopping bikes

one Turbo was used as a sprint bike in the UK, wouldn't have done that unless it gave a hefty increase in HP.
what HP were you getting on yours?
It all depends on what the sprint bike was? I was saying that on the XS400, is more of a sedate machine, not built as an out, and out racing speed machine! and the power increse would be so modest, as not to be worth the time, expense, and effort involved!

Merlin

Back