Paint code for dark blue

Rexx

Canuck
Reaction score
Searching for the paint code for my 82 XS 400 to repaint the tank. Both bikes (have a complete parts bike) are dark blue. Can anyone shove me in the right direction?

Why you need the code? Just take a side cover or something to the mixer and they mix the tone for you.

I spoke to a painter, if the code is not in their data base when the colour is scanned it won't register a result.
I did contact Yamaha through a dealer who took my serial number and they are checking it out.

A painter who can't match to a good original example? Odd. You need someone who is not computer dependent, or who has a better computer. The body shop guys I know have computers that can match a color even without determining a numerical code...or they use their eyes.

I did a search under the category of paint. Apparently, Yamaha can source it by my bike serial number. I spoke to a dealer who knows a more "experienced" person at Yamaha who routinely digs up this kind of information on older bikes. He just knows where to look and bases that on his 30 years of experience. Will post my results as soon as I find out.

Your observations are correct, as usual it's finding the "right" shop to take care of your business, not always easy when you have limited time etc. The paint code should be in their data base, heaven knows they painted enough this colour, but I wasn't prepared to tell him his business, will probably move on and give the paint job to someone else. Will post my paint code results.

Back