Petcock RES problem

kevingkruse

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I decided to try and see how many MPG I'm getting, so I ran it till the bike died, thinking ill just switch it to RES and refill, instead it completely drained me. Shouldn't it leave some in there on the ON position? Does this mean I need to rebuild my petcock?

I don't have any experience, but If I had to guess, I would guess that someone didn't do the diaphragm right. So that would lead me to your conclusion, Yup, time to get a rebuild kit. since its empty, now is a good time to pull it off, and see if the internal screen is still there, so if needed you can get another one. Its easy enough, just follow the suggestion here on the sight, and clean all the groves and stuff. you will find it, its here!
Tobie

PS I did do a rebuild on it, but I didn't have any symptoms. (it wasn't running yet)

I would take the petcock off and look to see if someone removed the filters, which are different lengths for On and Res. If so I would just get a different petcock as the rebuild kits do not come with new filters.

I had trouble reading my pet-cock and found I was running on reserve. Something about these makes it difficult to read. On the other hand, when I set it correctly and have to use reserve, I have much engine problems. It sputters, and misses much of the time. Going to clean up my extra pet-cock one of these days, and if that doesn't work, will go for the rebuild kit. Found an e-how somewhere which showed how to take it apart, clean it, and turn the gasket upside down, to use the other unused side of the gasket. Pretty cool.

Back