Picked up another bike and have some question!

cthor

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I been on here with my build on my cafe racer with my first bike, 78 xs400. Today I just picked up another xs400 out of a storage find. Its an 81 xs400 Special Heritage edition or something. Picked her up for $240! The bikes in great shape as well as the carbs. The only problem is that it has no title or key! The bike has not been registered in the state of MN since 1992 so I am hoping I can get it registered as an abandoned motorcycle. Or else do the Vermont registration and transfer it here. The bike kicks over and seems to have good compression but I dont have the exact numbers. My question has to do with the key. What are my options on obtaining a key? I know I can swap out the ignition for a new one that will come with a fresh set of keys but if I can avoid that, it be better since the gas tank and seat requires the same key. Let me know what you guys have done and if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks!

Here's a picture of the bike.

06252DDE-28BA-43FE-976C-DFD402EA03F7-3490-0000013D9C1E4C84.jpg

Do you guys have any idea how I can pop the seat without the key? Also without damaging the lock?

Nice Bike and cheap price.The key issue isnt that bad you have to take out your ignition switch hten take it to a lock shop.I got it done for $25 on another Bike I had.
Wihtout the paper work I dont know how that works in your state.In mine we have sherriff check out the vin and if everything is good they give you a paper to take to the local tag office.(its called secretary of state in Michigan).Then you can apply for lost title and registration.

just take the bike to the locksmith, 4 numbers on top of the barrel will make you a key no problem, as for the title i dont know some times it can be a lot of red tape to get a new one ,
nice find by the way

just take the bike to the locksmith, 4 numbers on top of the barrel will make you a key no problem, as for the title i dont know some times it can be a lot of red tape to get a new one ,
nice find by the way

Not quite that simple,you may need to make an appointment cause locksmiths are always busy with lockouts.

Back