Picture journal of xs400rj crankshaft replacement

OnePhate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting the bike back tomorrow with new reason to celebrate. Some of you might know I have a suspected spun rod bearing. I decided since my mechanic wants 300 minimum for bottom end work I will be doing this one on my own. I tracked down a slightly used crankshaft and rods for my exact engine and ordered it, only $50 dollars. Anyways I'll be starting the tear down on my 1982 Seca xs400rj around 5 pm tomorrow and have pictures of my progress at around 10 pm. I will be honing my cylinders and putting in new rings and also polish the engine up on this go to make it look pretty. I hope you all enjoy and add your wisdom. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG0123.jpg
    IMAG0123.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited by a moderator:
good luck its fun stripping the engine down.

there is a strip sequence in www.xs400.net for the 12R bikes (dohc) its in german but you can use google translator!

Thanks drewpy that will come in handy! I ran in to a little delay (the mechanic who has the bike right now wont answer his phone)

I took off the engine mounts
Removed carbs
Removed battery
Removed exhaust mounts
Unbolted the exhaust
My exhaust mounts were pretty rusty, and if theres one thing I hate, its rust.
So I grinding the rust off taped up the sides and hit the back with Rustoleum Rust Reformer

Attachments

• IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG0261.jpg
    IMAG0261.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG0259.jpg
    IMAG0259.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMAG0258.jpg
    IMAG0258.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMAG0256.jpg
    IMAG0256.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 169
I ended up having to cut the exhaust because it was rusted together under the engine the rear came apart just fine
I noticed my kick stand was pretty nasty so I took it off too
Stripped it with my wire wheel
Rust proofed that also
Took off my side cover to find this. THERE WAS A BEES NEST IN THERE.
Pretty nasty inside

Attachments

• IMAG0295.jpg
    IMAG0295.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAG0293.jpg
    IMAG0293.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMAG0269.jpg
    IMAG0269.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG0265.jpg
    IMAG0265.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMAG0264.jpg
    IMAG0264.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 138
Dropped the engine, had to remove the front sprocket to disconnect it and remove the two long bolts attaching it to the frame.
I unbolted the valve cover
Removed valve cover, it came off easy, but I did forget the long bolts that go all the way in to block the first time :p
Removed cam chain tensioner, just two bolts and it comes right out.
I removed the cam chain guide by pulling the chain to the side and pulling it out vertically, nothing holds it in.

Attachments

• IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0298.jpg
    IMAG0298.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG0300.jpg
    IMAG0300.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMAG0303.jpg
    IMAG0303.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMAG0304.jpg
    IMAG0304.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 170
And that is all the pictures from 9/6, the engine was pulled on 9/7 and the rest of the pictures were from that day. Becuase of my medical issues I had a few days where I didn't get to work on it. I'm going to split the case tomorrow and upload all the prior pictures if I have time.

oh and excuse the poor picture quality, they were all taken on my cell phone, which is very particular about being held absolutely steady for a decent picture. Hard to do when you have to take Vicodin and Valium (just had a bone marrow biopsy the week prior and a second one on the 7th in almost the same spot, so the quality is getting worse as the project progresses :p)

hey mate, your doing great man :thumbsup:

bet ya loving the engine bit, I find that the most satisfying part.

keep it up! :bike:

hey mate, your doing great man :thumbsup:

bet ya loving the engine bit, I find that the most satisfying part.

keep it up! :bike:

Thanks buddy! I ran into a little problem getting a stripped and super stuck screw out of the oil pump, so its hindering my project, I'll update more pics later today or tomorrow morning.

Actually, after 8 hours of trying to get this stripped scew out, my father came in, pushed me out of the way and did it in about 4 seconds with a flat head (I had grinded it down to accept a flat head) I think it might have been from hitting it with a chisel in a the CC direction that loosened it up. But man, I will always carry respect for my father, because he always manages what i see as impossible.

I found another hidden crank case bolt behind something that doesnt want to come out either. I was hoping to have the case cracked tonight before I leave on a work trip tomorrow. See you next friday for more updates!

I'm back from my trip, I actually ended up quitting my job because my condition leaves me too fatigued to continue physical labor. Cracked the crank case and found the spun rod bearing. I'll update pictures later.

Keep up the good work and can't wait to see pics. So far i am facinated with it to the point it makes me want to dig right in and strip apart my engine and rebuild it. (dont know if i need it rebuilt but since it was sitting for a few years in a barn it wouldn't hurt it any.)

oh and excuse the poor picture quality, they were all taken on my cell phone, which is very particular about being held absolutely steady for a decent picture. Hard to do when you have to take Vicodin and Valium (just had a bone marrow biopsy the week prior and a second one on the 7th in almost the same spot, so the quality is getting worse as the project progresses :p)
I know exactly how it is to be so tired you can't get out of bed in the morning.I take Methadone 3 times a day[all I can take,liver totaled]and klonipin[clonazepam,high strength valium]3 times a day.This would make most people comotose,but I have to take it to wake up,yet I still have time and energy to work 1to 1-1/2 hours per day on my projects. Be careful on the crank to use the same color code case bearings. I would have gotten the crank turned and replaced the bearing shells. lha

I'm totally replacing the crank with a good one, cheaper than getting it turned. I'm unemployed now and my condition hasn't progressed to the point of only an hour or so of work yet. I still get to work on the bikes (just added a twin to this one to my collection) for about 3-4 hours before I'm ready for a nap. Now my doctors are telling me I need a bone marrow transplant and I'll be out of commission for about a year, and totally hospitalized for about 2 months then another couple months of bed rest after so I'm in a real rush to get this bike done and very unfortunately sold :(

Wow. Well i will pray that you have a speedy recovery when you have that done. Hopefully you will be able to recover more quickly and be able to handle working on bikes soon.

Keep up the good work and can't wait to see pics. So far i am facinated with it to the point it makes me want to dig right in and strip apart my engine and rebuild it. (dont know if i need it rebuilt but since it was sitting for a few years in a barn it wouldn't hurt it any.)

Glad you are inspired but don't let me fool you, its not an easy job but it is satisfying. I'm still waiting on the crank shaft, I'm also going to hone the cylinders and replace the rings.....just because. I have a lot of stress in my life so i've been polishing everything on the bike, its a great stress reliever. To think back on how much I've put into this bike and I'm not even done is kind of a stresser of mine. But I know once its all done I'm going to be very satisfied and someone is going to get a great bike that will give them many years of pleasure.

Back