Pilot jet confusion

cafedan

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
when i go to mikesxs.net the pilot jets for the bs34 start at #30 but the specs say my pilot jet starts at #17.5 :confused:

What year/model bike? I'm working on my BS34's now (from an '80 XS SG), and my pilot jet is spec'd at 42.5. I don't know a whole lot about carbs, but that sounds really low to me...

76 xs360 and im pretty sure they are bs34's i found the 17.5 number out of my manual. hell maybe im looking at the wrong thing

That 17.5 is in the manual, but the XS360 also has a much different air jet from the later bikes that have the 42.5 pilot jet. My guess is that that makes the difference.

im rejetting and wanted to at least get one size up, considering my pods and 2-1 exhaust. i need to pull my carbs off and have a really good look at the pilots.
underdog, i was looking at that site, is the #25 the next size up from #17.5?
when searching the site i came across a thread that says the pilot jets are missing some holes and there is not a plug in there. shit i cant remember what it looks like. haha ill get it figured out. but in how long. thanks for any and all help guys.

Open your carbs and remove the pilot jets; this is the best way to get an accurate number. The numbers are printed on the top or side of the jets. Don't trust the manuals for this information. Also, do not confuse the pilot AIR jet with the pilot jet; they are different.

Jets typically go up by 2.5 increments. 42.5 -> 45 -> 47.5 -> 50.... etc

17.5 -> 25 is a huge jump.

thanks bcware, your right, i need to just take em off to do it haha. ive never rejetted a carb before so its all new to me. ill do some more research. i appreciate all the help guys.

Back