Pilot Jets - use anti-seize on 'em? and question about JIS tool for that jet

armyofda12mnkeys

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Just curious, for your pilot jets... do you use some sort of anti-seize so it doesn't get stuck/binded in there? If so, which one can I grab at local autobody shop?

Also are there any good Mikuni carb toolkits that include the appropriate size JIS screwdriver for that hole that the pilot jet sinks into.
I use the largest flathead from a Lowes mini-driver set to get in that small hole (but its defiantely slightly a little undersized and dont want to strip the pilot screw in the future).
I heard some people fashion their own screwdrivers by grinding down a larger one in this forum... But I'd prefer though just to pay for an appropriate one if anyone has a name/link to one.

Hey Lou Ranger,
just curious, which JIS one is the one that fits in the pilot jet hole (the pilot jet inside the carb, not the pilot air jet on the outside of the carb)?
Might just grab one driver instead of a full set if thats possible.

Ewwww. Wrong guy to ask.
I know about JIS and grinding the tip off a Phillips etc. from having to remove the front sprocket cover. I've never been inside a carburetor but I'm pretty sure that a JIS cover bolt inserted into an xs carb would pretty much finish the carb off.

There must be info on one of the many carb clean/rebuild threads here on the Forum. Usually xschris chimes in about now and saves the day ...

Make sure the pilot jet is clean when you put it in there or new. I use a little oil on the threads and just snug fit it. I think the biggest issue is that people over tighten them. Make sure the flat head screw driver is a perfect fit and turn them out very slow when you remove them. If you get a dirty set. Spray some penetrating oil in there an let sit for a day or two.

Back