Plug on left side of crankcase?

kshansen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hate to ask a dumb question but what is the plug on the left side of the crankcase for?

It's maybe a little ahead of the center of crank and a couple inches back from the lower left motor mount. I was thinking it was an oil drain plug, I know the XS650's have two you take out to get all the oil. I removed that plug first when I went to drain oil and to my surprise nothing came out and I knew the oil was over full due to a leaking float valve in one or both carbs.

Also is it normal to have oil inside the round cover on the left side where the alternator is if the crankcase is over full? I took a quick look in the parts book I downloaded and did not see any seals in that area.

I've definitely had oil come out of that plug. Not sure of the official purpose since I've never seen it referred to in the manual.

It's normal to have a bit of oil in the alternator housing. I believe there's a small hole at the bottom of the housing to allow oil to go in/out from the crank case.

The plug you speak of is actually meant as a diagnostic port for an external oil pressure gauge. It's on the positive side of the pump after the filter, so the only oil that should come out is whats sitting on the pressure side of the system, so not too much.

Yes there should be a little oil in the side cover, it keeps the starter chain and starter clutch oiled.

The plug you speak of is actually meant as a diagnostic port for an external oil pressure gauge. It's on the positive side of the pump after the filter, so the only oil that should come out is whats sitting on the pressure side of the system, so not too much.

Yes there should be a little oil in the side cover, it keeps the starter chain and starter clutch oiled.

Thanks, I was kind of worried about the oil in that spot thinking there was a failed seal! Well on my XS400 that is not really needed as it is a factory stock kick only engine. If this outfit works out I may decide to convert to electric foot as I do have a 1977 XS400 with that option.

The plug just had me a little confused when just about nothing came out even with the engine over full. I was all ready with a drain pan and carefully pulled the plug to see only a drop or two of oil! Have to wonder if the factory used that port to "pre-lube the engine after assembly to avoid a dry start?

To prime the oil system you can just kick the kicker a bunch of times. It will turn the motor turning the oil pump. So when it fires it's not dry. Also soaking the oil filter in oil before you put it in helps. I do this after an oil change and after a long sit to make sure oil is where it needs to be.

Last edited:
That's a good tip chris. I never worry about it since I ensure everything has proper assembly lube on it when I rebuild, and all it takes is a few blips of the starter to get oil through the system, but I'd feel much safer priming that way.

Guess I need to do some studying on the gear train to the oil pump of this engine. I'm having a hard time understanding how the oil pump could be turned without the crank turning. If the oil pump is only connected to the crankshaft when clutch is no pulled in how does the engine get oil flow while you are sitting at a stop light with clutch pulled in? Or is there some kind of oneway clutch involved?

To prime the oil system you can just pull in the clutch and kick the kicker a bunch of times. It wont turn the motor but it will still turn the oil pump. I do this after an oil change and after a long sit to make sure oil is where it needs to be.

Now that I think about it your right:laugh: This was for sticking clutches. It only moves the pads and trans gears. When I thought of this a month ago I could not remember if the kick gear turned the basket or trans. I guess I should have looked. Still works just don't pull in the clutch. :laugh:

That makes me feel better! I've only been a mechanic for 45+ years working on mostly heavy equipment and thought I was having a brain freeze not seeing how this could be true.

Now if you were talking large Cat equipment many of them have a second oil pump mounted on the end of the electric starter. The starter is wired up so it will spin and not engage the ring gear until it builds up a set amount of oil pressure. Then starter stops for a few seconds and restarts turning after engaging the ring gear to crank over the engine to start it.

Now that I think about it your right:laugh: This was for sticking clutches. It only moves the pads and trans gears. When I thought of this a month ago I could not remember if the kick gear turned the basket or trans. I guess I should have looked. Still works just don't pull in the clutch. :laugh:

Back