Points vs elect conversion.

jomama

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the late 70s HD converted to elect ign. 1979 i believe. At that time all the old school die hards were cenverting them back to points ign using the argument that if it died on the road you could easly get er going. All they did was change the elect assenbly with a breaker plate unit and old style parts from an earlier unit and good to go. Has anyone heard of this being done with tese bikes ?

As can see here that I am responding to my own question with another question. How is it possible that no one had responded to this? Surely someone has had the same thought before. I have seen it done on a 550 honda .

I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you want to convert from points to electronic or from electronic to points?

It can be done. Look here:

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/to...ectronic-ignition/page__p__104350#entry104350

I would not say that points are superior, but a points system in good repair will start and run as well as an electronic ignition on an otherwise healthy engine. I guess there is less maintenance with an electronic ignition, but taking 2 bolts out to inspect the points once or twice a year and spending well under an hour adjusting points (if they even need adjusting) isn't a big deal to me. It it true that with a bike that has not been cared for, chasing ignition issues with a points ignition can get frustrating, but once set up, it's really not a big deal. There is some validity to the argument that points "talk to" a rider who is tuned is so adjustments can be made before a trip ending failure, but one reason for electronic ignitions is that less and less riders were "tuned in" or ignored the warning signs. The electronic ignition will work for a lot longer without needing anything, but when it goes, it usually goes without warning.

Back