need picture for wires into 1979 xs400 points ignition

shoop1982

NEW TO XS400
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been reading everywhere that when replacing the points ignition / contact breakers, you must pay attention to how you place the wire and washers...
Unfortunately for me, I had taken apart the contact breakers before taking a look as to where the wire must sit. I have looked in my manual...old grainy black and white picture...hard to tell what is what!

I have completely rewired and made reference to many different wiring diagrams and believe I got all right....but can't be certain of the points, since i can't find any good
reference.

The bike is not having any spark at this time :yikes: and thought maybe this could be part of my issue, if the wire is not on the proper side of the insulator...I am just working my way back through what I have done/changed :banghead: and this is where I am at!

I could make out the left point wire on the left cylinder, but can't see the right one well...

Looked online to try and find pictures...but can't see properly!

If you have a good reference picture or own a 1979 please send me a picture!

Much appreciated

Not quite the angle you're going for but there are some closeups here: http://grimcyclesalvage.com/product_info.php/1977-1979-1979-yamaha-xs400-xs360-pick-pulser-coil-points-p-9476#pic1

The wires should be insulated from the timing plates and electrically connected to the curved metal spring that goes to the contact breaker contacts.
Off the top of my head I believe the washer order from the nut would be:
nut->washers->insulating washer>mount>insulating washer>spring>wire terminal>washer>bolt head

Thank you for sending me some clarification...I will have a look at it in the morning and see what i can figure out.
I did spend some time this morning testing for spark...figured out my left coil has no spark and the right one does....
I will do a resistance test on the coil to see if it is good or not...I just bought both of them so maybe the one is a "dud".

I hope it is as simple as that and then I can get it replaced and start riding the bike!

Thanks.
If you come across any picture of the other side of it ...please send my way...then I can confirm!

:D

Back