Polished fork leg, wow what a difference!

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just polished a fork leg and i am loving the results!!!!!! (the one on the right in the first photo is the polished one:wink2:) Im really enjoying this polishing caper. Cant wait to get the triple done, lol.

Attachments

• DSC04275.jpg
    DSC04275.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 557
  • DSC04277.jpg
    DSC04277.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC04278.jpg
    DSC04278.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC04279.jpg
    DSC04279.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC04281.jpg
    DSC04281.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC04282.jpg
    DSC04282.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC04283.jpg
    DSC04283.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC04284.jpg
    DSC04284.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC04285.jpg
    DSC04285.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 451
  • DSC04286.jpg
    DSC04286.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 429
Thanks do-boy! Actually you dont need that much patience for the fork legs imo. They are straight for the most part and very easy to polish compared to something with a lot of little nooks and crannys such as a brake caliper. So it relativly fast to polish. Just wire wheel them heaps first and get them clean, then polish with 400 grit wet & dry, then again with 800. Then get it onto a buffing wheel on a bench grinder using buffing compound and watch them come alive. Clean off any buffing compound residue with mineral turpentine when done, and if you feel like it finish with a cream metal polish such as auto sal.

Oh believe me I know all about the process, used to be a bodyman so I am familiar and hate the level of elbow grease that goes into that so kudos to you! What part of aussie land are you from? In vancouver, canada I have alot of friends from melbourne and sydney

Thanks Pork, plenty more bling to do yet, lol.

@ dO-bOy im in melbourne, you got a lot of aussies living up your way then?

Yes there's quite a few sissies up here. There should be alot of Canadians down there too. Fun people to party with, you guys.

And I left sissies up there because my tablet autocorrected it from aussies! Hahahaha

And I left sissies up there because my tablet autocorrected it from aussies! Hahahaha

lol, Its funny cause i would have left it there too :laugh:

@Pork I reckon you could have it done and dusted within the hour, just at a normal pace and drinking beers. Drinking beer is key to polishing imo. It numbs the senses, which in turn diminishs the boredom:thumbsup:

Daaaaaah...me like polish stuff....hicccuuupp

Greasey Fingers - You are extremely good at this.

My results are most certainly not as good. But still its fun
full

Nice work.

Here is my effort at polishing. I don't have as much patience as you guys and they are no where near perfect but "done" is better than perfect. :thumbsup:

forks.jpg

Hey Phil, yours look great - a huge difference in the before and after. Did you do yours by hand or on a buffing wheel?

After hand sanding, I tried using a drill mounted buffing wheel to finish them off but it was crap and I had to redo the work... :mad:

Hey Phil, yours look great - a huge difference in the before and after. Did you do yours by hand or on a buffing wheel?

After hand sanding, I tried using a drill mounted buffing wheel to finish them off but it was crap and I had to redo the work... :mad:

I startet out with 240 sandpaper on a sander (don't know what it's called in englich, but looks like this.)
39320630.jpg

It actually went well and easy. But i would noy ude the sander on my enigine - think it calls for more gently sanding.

Then I polished on a cheap polishmashine
Polermas750.jpg

with some brown polish.

It took about 3 hours all in all. The result is nok like Geasy Fingers', but it looks much better than before :laugh:

Your forks look great - and done by hand ! R E S P E C T :thumbsup:

inspired by ur Work, polished my Forks yesterday!
Very easy!
Did it like Philodoxo,
First sanded with a triangle sander, 320 paper
than by Hand with 1000 sander
next i begun polishing with brown polishing paste and at least with the white one!
Now its shining like a mirror!

Here u see, before > after sanding > polished
forklzxx8.jpg

Andy

Back