Poor throttle response

chrishaar

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have an 82 seca and im having some troubles with the throttle. It runs awesome when its cold but when its warm the throttle responds slow. If im waiting at the lights i have to rev it up a couple times before i let the clutch out or it will just die. The bike was in the shop a few times in the past couple weeks, in which i had the carbs taken apart and cleaned as well as i had 2 main jets replaced and 2 pilot jets replaced. They were also synced. Does anyone have any possible suggestions as to what could be causing the slow response in the throttle? Is it possible that the throttle plates are sticky? Im new to the site, thanks.

It could be in the transition from one jet to the next that there is a flat spot. Is it only when the clutch is disengaged that it will die? or is it if you blip the throttle suddenly in general, such as with the clutch in or in neutral?

Poor throttle response is typically either carbs or timing (usually carbs). Even though you note you had the carbs professionally cleaned I'd still suspect carbs as a SERIOUS cleaning is more work than most shops (in my experience) are willing to do and they wind up doing a half assed job. Search for the carb cleaning guide on this web site and follow it religiously. Also try the xjbikes.com web site for a carb cleaning guide that is provided in extreme detail including cleaning and polishing the slides and slide bores. Inspect all seals and rubber bits for wear and replace as necessary, or maybe even just replace since the rubber is over 30 years old at this point.

Don't forget to lube the mechanism of the throttle itself, inside the cable (yes, guys, INSIDE the cable. Take the Throttle assembly apart!)

And lube under the nylon roller sleeve with drylube to make it smooth.

Drewcifer

Back