Possibly missing parts...

TazzTheJynx

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, while attempting to begin my rewiring.. I noticed I was missing a fuse box. And I didn't notice any inline fuses.. So the kid literally had no fuses on the bike what so ever.. So I have a questions.

1) What problems could this of caused, aside from the obvious blown headlight or whatever?

2) What all parts do I need on the bike, and can I please have pictures of their locations so where I know where to look for them?

3) Good place to buy wiring and such for the motorcycle, because i'm really tired of messing with this hackjob of a bike and i'm just going to do a full rewire of everything I think...

I was wondering about the lack of fuse box from the picture of your wiring harness.

1) Hard to say if it caused problems. If nothing ever shorted out then the lack fuses might never have allowed damage. It's possible that a short could happen anywhere. The damage would mostly likely be evident to the eye.

2) Pretty much all of them. There might be some components that could be left out but deviating from the stock wiring scheme could be trouble. They can be a challenge to understand. Definitely study the manual and wiring diagram.
These are the parts involved:
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS400SH/ELECTRICAL+1/parts.html
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS400SH/ELECTRICAL+2/parts.html
As for locations, check out drewpy's rewire thread that a couple people have suggested. It has some excellent diagrams.
Read through the whole thread. All five pages. Drewpy does say where he bought the wire for his wiring harness. Also, as mentioned in one of your other threads, Ebay is an option for wire bundles.

If you need to make separate threads for your various issues, please keep each issue contained to that one thread. There have been responses to some of the same questions across multiple threads and it gets confusing for people trying to read and help.
Or keep everything in one thread for simplicity's sake.

Like BBS360 said, hard to say if it messed anything up, but if everything is working don't work about it .... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you just want to add the fuses I suggest you find an after-market fuse box or add several in-line fuses.... the original fuse box was junk and probably why it was removed .... stupid to do, but probably the cause.

Well the Nike doesn't run at the moment... I have to undo the wiring harness to wire the bike. I may install in line fuses for now, until I can buy a fuse box.

Back