post rebuild electrical issue

swbxchip21

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, so i replaced my old headlight wit a new one. before i replaced the headlight, everything worked. now the gauges dont lights up. every connection is correct and every fuse is intact. please help me

also here is a close up with the new light

Attachments

• close up jegs.jpg
    close up jegs.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 57
but every bit of the gauge cluster has been renewed, i was maybe thinking a bad relay? do i check that with a polarity relay

You know, our forum has this thing about cheap connectors. did you affix every connection point with solder? It seems (even thou yours has been out yet, that the readily available connectors, don't hold up to the vibrations. That and you have to get the better crimper. not the one that might be used for stereo parts.
Tobie

ok update: i replaced the voltage regulator, i replaced the alternator.
all risitance values from both are within spec, hoever @ the battery my tester reads 11.7 voltz` and when im on the throttle. im confused

How did you get the gauge lights working? If they kinda just started working it is very clear that it is a connection issue. Its a PITA but your best bet is to take all the connections to the parts not working and create soldered connections.

with another set of eyes helping me, ive found the problem the stator field coil is bad. now i just have to find one in good nic to replace it with, thanks for all the advice/help.

Back