Problem finding clutch rod seal

Hishman

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone new to the site here! Just purchased my first motorcycle an 81xs400 yesterday. When I got it it had a pretty bad oil leek only when running. Today I tried to track it down and i believe it is the clutch pushrod seal. Earlier I had it idling for a few minutes with not even one drop. As soon as I go to pull out and drive boom a massive leak. This leads me to believe that the seal is leaking during clutch actuation. Where can I find this seal? I've only been able to find one on mikes xs for a 650. Are they interchangeable? The other option is buy one on eBay for 17$. I would do this but from what I read they can tear easily so I want like 4 of them.

Thanks!

Alright thanks ill check there. Should i just buy one and be really careful? I was also planning on rounding off the opening with a dremel before i put the replacement in. I just don't want to buy one and have it tear.

I used a piece of sandpaper, and I bought 2. If you look at my albums it seems to holding up, just can't figure out the Red Sh1t stuff.Dave said its rust. He is probably right. I found chain and bar oil, says it will stick to the chain with high rpms :) SAE 30. dont know if its just as good, but I will give it a shot.

Good video, the problem I had with my first seal was that I had a different case bottom. So the shared common holes, Clutchrod, and now the drive sproket seal have to deal with an opening that wasn't off the same production casting. So I had sharp edges that sliced into the clutchrod seal, and now It appears that the Drivesprocket seal, isn't perfectly round, or the side that splt the seal needs to be specially treated.

Personnely I put the Clutchrod seal inplace with out the rod in. I used a grease for high temps, (I think I did) (for the rod), with my OCD, I took out the sprocket out, for more room, and the tool you used, is awesome, I going to keep my eye open for one like that. I posted a pic of my issues in the "What did you do with your XS today, If you find it, I suspect the amount of gunk on the clutchrod, is due to the breakdown of the drive sprocket seal. Dave thought it was from oiling the chain. Since I previous to that never did oil the chain, However the oil being flung up from the sprocket, to the rod, and the rust from the chain, did create a build up action, which I think Is visible on that photo. I can go get my new seal now! good luck

I'm having an issue with my seal as well.

I just replaced it and it started leaking again. Took the cover off and it had been pushed all the way out & was hanging on the rod. I'm about to try again. My question is: How can you tell it's seated all the way?

This pic is my album. I have a collection of good and bad though out my albums. This photo was done after replacing the output shaft seal. (the big one) I have been having issues with a few different leaks. I am waiting to see if this is the fix. Last time I looked, it seems to be holding up.
full

to get to my album, just click on my name on the left, and then you should see an option to visit my albums

Tapped it in as far as it would go with a socket. It wasnt leaking when I started it but it started leaking heavily when I took off.

Really have no idea what to do next...:wtf:

Posted via Mobile

Were you able to determine which plug?
The big one is the Output seal, to the left with the rod sticking out is clutchrod seal, the bottom two are for hiding the transmissions rod's.

A photo, can help us help you. If you haven't uploaded before, Click on "Go Advanced" under the text message screen, then you will see a paperclip. If you have alot of photos, only do 3 to 4 photos at a time. It seems to die if you go for all 5 at once.

It's definately the clutch rod seal. I put some black gasket maker on the old one & that held for a few days. When it failed & pushed out again I replaced it, that was yesterday. It only lasted a few miles & came out again. I just took the cover off & snapped a pic for yous guys.

Maybe I damaged it when I put it in?

Too much pressure from a blocked breather?

Posted via Mobile

See I had the opposite problem, My hole was eating up the the seals, as I put it in it would rip it up immediately. Check for rubber rippage, If you do decide to use some sort of sealant, make sure its fully cured before you start running it. Make sure its can handle the heat.

Back