Problems after oil change.

I also have a Maxim. After trying out different types of oil, I agree with Dave and can confirm that Rotella T6 is a very stout, hearty oil. It provides better shifting, no gear slips while I'm cruising (unlike the Castrol 20w50 :eek:), stronger start ups, the best heat resistance and with that you get the most longevity and uniformity throughout the season. I am not going back to any other type of oil. If I am correct, the DOHC runs slightly cooler than the SOHC but I am not sure by how much. At 6k RPMs, that engine is only just waking up. So when you are good and ready and have all the issues worked out...wind her up! She sounds reeeeeeal nice around 9k! :bike:

Now this is the really confusing thing, you guys are talking about DOHC 83 Maxim 400. When I look up the engine specs, it says 6-speed 100+mph. My 83 maxim 400 is the 5 speed (top speed maybe 85mph) *tachometer only says 80*.

Now this is the really confusing thing, you guys are talking about DOHC 83 Maxim 400. When I look up the engine specs, it says 6-speed 100+mph. My 83 maxim 400 is the 5 speed (top speed maybe 85mph) *tachometer only says 80*.
The manual on here is for the DOHC Seca - same engine as the Maxim, but a 6 speed tranny. Maxim has a 5 speed. Wheels and tires are a different size and the number of teeth on the rear sprockets are different.
But apparently, the final overall ratio in top gear results in the same rpms at a given speed. My tach didn't say anything on it about what the top speed might be - simply a red line of 10k. Maybe in the U.S., in addition to the special graphics for "55" (the national speed-limit in that primitive era), the tachs were imprinted with cautionary notation to discourage burning Arab oil ?

I never had my Maxim above 65-70 mph but, based on the rpms at 62 mph (100 kph), my engine would have been at or just above the red line at 100 mph. In real life this would likely be going downhill with a tail wind unless the rider were a 98 lb. weakling with no clothes and no gas in the tank.

PS - I am now convinced to switch from Rotella T-Triple to T-6 synthetic. I like the idea of less viscosity resistance on a cold morning - and we seem to be having plenty of those at these latitudes this year. It has yet to get hot enough to have me worry about the 40 weight oil being too thin at full operating temperature.

Last edited:
Forgot to make an update about this, it has been a while since i revisited this thread. The 20w-50 Valvoline Motorcycle oil is still holding strong. No problems with overheating, no powerloss or anything noticeable. So far I'm pleased with how the bike is performing.

I've been floating between my two bikes, the maxim and my harley dyna-low rider. Using the Haryley for more high mileage runs. Just recently ordered new bars, grips and mirrors for the bike. Over the winter the bodywork begins :D

Back