pulling off the alternator, yikes?

lifesource1

lifesource1
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the alternator off of my '78 xs 400 so I can put on an idler gear and ultimately an electric starter. Surprise.... ordinary gear pullers won't work and no matter how I try to jury rig a puller, I just can't get it to budge. Am I missing something, I don't want to put too much tension on the castings of the alternator.
Any advice would be appreciated, I'm dead in the water.

I assume you are trying to remove this bad boy:
P8200064.jpg
I know that the puller for my '81 is simply a hardened bolt with thread as m16-1.5, and I happen to have an extra.

I assume you are trying to remove this bad boy:
View attachment 5376
I know that the puller for my '81 is simply a hardened bolt with thread as m16-1.5, and I happen to have an extra.
YES, THAT'S THE BAD BOY! I've been trying to get this XS going for a month since my son snapped the kick start casting in the case.(it did not have an electric start)
Any interest in parting with your #2 puller for a wits-end Dad? You've got me where you want me. no reasonable offer refused.
Dean
518-642-9288

I paid a little more (unfortunately) when I got mine from Amazon, but I would be happy with $10. If you send me a PM with your address I can ship it when the post office opens, but if you find something cheaper I won't be offended (just jealous)!

pls call me at 518-642-9288 or 518-810-5775 so I can make arrangements to pay you and get a hold of that m16-1.50 hardened bolt.
Thank You
Dean Harrison
388 Hicks Road
Granville, N.Y. 12832

Back