Put the head back on...Stuck.

Jeff0133

XS400 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, for those who have read my all over the place thread, I am in the process of buttonning-up my engine.
Today I put the head back on. Keep in mind that at every step I checked that everything moved(turned) adequately. When I put the case halves together...I rotated the crank and it turned fine,when I put the pistons/ cylinder in I rotated the ACG and the pistons did their Up/down dance and everything was fine.
Then I put the head on and.....Again....Rotated everything with the head torqued....And.....Again...Everything was fine.
But then...:banghead:..I put the cams in and I could turn some but never a full revolution...Then I would back it Up...And still it would bind on me on the way....
The clearances on my Cam lobe/valve buckets are in specs as per manual,so...My guess is that valve/piston interference is eliminated as a cause.what could it ne then:umm:.
These are the two positions where it binds.
IMG_20170122_131347.jpg
IMG_20170122_131306.jpg

Any help appreciated.
I took the cams out...And it rotated fine...So crank and pistons/cylinders do not seem to be the culprits. All that remains is the head and I really can't figure what happens...
:shrug:

I have a SOHC 360.. Im curious to know what exactly happened? My first guess was that the timing was set wrong. Does the picture in the last post show the timing to be off by 90 degrees?

Back