Question on Bent Intake valve...

Norman1950

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I took apart my head today and noticed that my left intake valve stem is slightly bent towards the top middle. The valve guide didn't seem to have any weird scarring on the inside neither did the the actual valve stem. So am wondering if it got bent when the bike was put to pasture or worse thing is I somehow bent it removing it today.

My question is I have an extra xs360 motor in the shop. Can I remove the left intake valve and use in the motor I am rebuilding. Knowing obviously that I am going to have to lap this valve along with the others. Hoping I can do that and not spend a whole bunch of money on a valve job.

Thanks for your input.

Doing some thinking here last night and this morning. Probably going to take the valve guide out of the bent valve head and use the intake valve and guide from the other head. This way I know the valve and guide will run true with one another.

There is clearances for the stem and guides. Check the manual and make sure they are in spec. It would suck to put them in and have the motor smoke:doh:

Thanks for bringing that up Chris, just looked in the manual for the specs. Now just have to find time to get over to the shop again.

This is kind of turning into a thinking out loud thread for me lol

I am now thinking about taking the head and valve cover off the spare motor and using it on the one I am building right now. As long as everything measures out on the spare head, I don't see a reason not to use it.

Anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks for reading and the input.

It should work. But I would spec it out and replace the valve seats and lap the valves. They are both xs360 right?

I have a new gasket set coming it that includes new valve seals so those will be changed for sure. Yes they are both from a xs360. The one I am building is a 1976 and the "parts donor" is a 1977.

Thanks again Chris.

Well was able to check things out. Got the "parts motor" head off and intake valve off. Checked the specs on the valve and are well within specs. Decided before I take the parts head completely apart I would check to see if that valve would work in the good motor. Put it in valve guide and did the test and within specs of play in any direction. So long story short I am going to use that valve in place of the bent one.

Last edited:
Norman glad you got that figured out but thinking out loud is dangerous to your mental health.espeacily when your asking questions and answering them out loud also.Its kinda like hearing voices and talking back to them:laughing:
My Mrs says it drivers crazy,she doesn't know who Im talking to the cat or her.I just tell her welcome to my world its pay back for her driving me crazy:laugh:

Glad I am not the only "crazy" one here. Still working on trying to get my dog to answer back when I talk to him so I didn't look so crazy.

Back