Question regarding differences between model years

XStLouis

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I have recently (October) bought an XS400. I've been having a lot of fun with/on the bike, and have already come across potential parts bikes that have been reasonably priced. The bike I currently have is a 1978 XS400-2E.... obviously it appears that some later XS400s have alot of differences, but what model years of the 400 have similar enough parts for swapping if need be, and are there any significant differences between model years to be wary of?

I realize this might not necessarily be a "how to" post... I wasn't quite sure where this would best go.

Thanks for any assistance.

Well, what you have there is a SOHC (single overhead cam). The SOHC engines are very similar from 1977-1982. They started using electronic ignition in 1980, but other than that, the parts are pretty interchangeable. The carbs are different after 1980, but a matched set will fit all years in that range, but don't try mixing.

Before 1980, the wheels were 18" front and rear (whether wire or alloy). In 1980 and after, the front was 18", the rear 16" (again, whether wire or alloy). An XS4002E like yours will have 18" wires and drum brakes. An XS400E (or F, like mine) will have 18" alloys and disk brakes, front and rear. All 16" rear wheels have drum brakes. On the 1980 and after bikes, wire fronts are drum, alloys are disk.

Seats changed nearly every year- they may bolt on for pretty much all years of SOHCs, but the foam contours are different. The tanks are more square in 1977 and early 1978, rounder after that. Handlebars changed nearly every year too, but they will bolt up to any year SOHC.

Now, starting in 1982 and after, they produced a DOHC (double overhead cam) XS400 (through 1983), along side the SOHC. However, the parts are not interchangeable at all. Therefore, make sure you know if the parts you are loking at are for a SOHC or DOHC.

Hopefully if I am inaccurate, someone will correct me soon.

About the seats they are bolt on side hinge from 77-79. From 80-82 they are snap on and removable and can't be interchanged with 77-79 models.:thumbsup:

Back