Quick carb question

norrie

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
How long would you need to leave your bike sitting before you’d need to pull your carbs and clean them three times? My 250 has been sitting for about 6 months (I have an XSR700 I ride all the time) and I need to take it for a rego check tomorrow. Currently changing the battery and hoping I’m not gonna have to clean them. I’m gonna ditch the fuel in it now and put some new fuel in.

I would drain them before letting it sit or put some stabilizer in it. Don't try to start it with old gas in it. If it's gummy that would be reason to take them apart for cleaning.

I would drain them before letting it sit or put some stabilizer in it. Don't try to start it with old gas in it. If it's gummy that would be reason to take them apart for cleaning.

Thanks for your reply. I got lucky. From memory, I’d added Marvel Mystery Oil to my last tank. Once it was fully charged, it kicked over and I took it up the road for fresh fuel. Thankfully, I didn’t have to bother with the carbs. Took it for a spin and it’s running well.

Back