Quick carb screw setting question from newbie

wirehairs

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So, as you might remember from another post, I've just rebuilt my head, putting on new piston rings, valve seals, and reground my valve seats. Hurrah. However, because it took me a few months to accomplish this, I think my right carburetor got gummed up a bit because I'm no longer getting power from the right cylinder although I have spark, so I'm cleaning them now.

I did spent some time looking through the forums here, but am unsure on the settings for my carb jets. So my questions are:

1) The pilot jet should be screwed all the way down, correct? (it fell out when i removed the bowl and turned it over, so maybe that was my whole problem right there?)

2) Is it the pilot screw that is suppose to be backed out a couple of turns from the bottom?

3) Lastly, carb cleaning will hurt rubber. I get that. Does than mean that a person should only use canned carb cleaner when they completely disassemble a carb, as there are a lot of o-rings in there...

Many, many thanks for you input. This bike has been a long time in the restoring phase, and I hope I'm at the end here!!

Pilot jets need to be screwed all the way in snug. It's the pilot mix screws that get the turns out. Remove rubber parts before using any kind of chemical in the carbs. My tip is to get a gravity fed media blasting gun and use baking soda to clean the carbs. It will make them like brand new and will do it fast. Just make sure you have a good size air compressor with a high cfm rate ( 7+cfm @90psi)

Back