Quick question about testing rectifier.

vim420

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1980 xs400 special 2 with charging issues. I've been testing the charging system according to the manual. When I test the rectifier on the continuity setting (the one that beeps) on my multimeter and test the red cable against the whites ones. In one direction there is no connection and in the other the number goes up to about 500 but doesn't beep. It does the same thing when I test the black cable against all the white ones. Im not sure if this is what its supposed to do. Any help, would be appreciated!!

So the rectifier is used to turn the AC from your alternator into DC using a series of diodes. Having continuity in one direction is totally normal for a rectifier, which means it's working as it should on that front. Having a 500 ohm reading is not discussed in the Haynes manual but, provided all of your readings are the same, I would assume it is functioning normally.
While you are testing your electrics, double check the output from your alternator and the resistance from each of the leads as well. If there are any charging issues, they will likely show up there. That area can get very dirty with normal use, which can lead to deteriorating wires.

If they all test out the same way your rectifier is most likely working properly.

Not all meters are designed for testing diodes. The continuity test on yours probably doesn't put out enough voltage to properly pass through the diode.
There isn't actually anything in there that has a resistance of 500 ohms, it's just that the meter doesn't understand what it is you want it to do.

Back