realizations and thoughts

willem

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Today my fuel tank got quite empty. I rode it until I had to turn to RES yesterday, and at the end of the day today I finally pulled into the gas station.

After adding about 15 liters of fuel I felt really really slow on the bike..:wtf: It just wouldn't accelerate as quickly, and in the corners it was just not handling great...

I realize now more than ever why café racers started, not because of the freakin awesome looks but just because all that weight is slowing us down immensely. I think I'll get an angle grinder and start cutting off whatever is not absolutely necessary! Imagine how nimble this bike will be... :eek: and yea don't start about losing weight myself, I'm skinny enough as it is :p

anyone else have this feeling after putting fuel in?

After putting fuel in, I feel a little lighter. If only my gas station took coins, I think the difference would be more noticeable...

I'd be questioning the fuel quality rather than its weight.

Trying to lighten the bike is potentially expensive, especially considering how light our bikes are to begin with.

True. I've beeen hacking peices off to save a pound here, 12 oz there... but have put on 40 lbs in the last 2 years . Losing a few inches from my waistline will be better and cheaper than modding the bike.... not as much fun though!

Posted via Mobile

more than likely you sucked in crud at the bottom of the tank and clogged your carbs….

Nope I just totaly went through them,we have crappy gas all stations here are E10 or E15.Our bikes run like crap on this stuff.My truck runs crappy on it also unless I add ethanol remover.

hmm that's weird, I've never had problems with fuel before. Stuff here is all pretty high quality I thought, with Dutch standards and all.. Don't think we even have ethanol fuel here.
But you're probably right I suppose. I'll finish this tank quickly and I'll try to stay away from that gas station then :)

15 litres of fuel. That is maybe 7 or 8% of the sum of you and your maschine. Should not make a big difference.

But maybe the XS was running better the last few kilometres before you came to the gas station because fuel was almost empty and the mixture got leaner.

Fuel in a motorcycle tank can be noticeable.. more in how it handles and corners because the weight is so high on the bike.

I had a subaru that needed 95ron or better. Once i got a dodgy tank of fuel and it ran like absolute crap. I never went back to that petrol station.

all fuel here has 95+ octane levels, so yea maybe travis is correct and its cuz the fuel adds weight to the top of the bike.. Felt like it too, I didn't get the feeling it wasn't running well.

Maybe I don't toss my bike around enough, but I have not noticed any difference in handling caused by fuel in the tank. Now, my Maxim's tank only holds 14L as compared to the Seca's 20L tank. I am 188 cm (6'2") tall and weigh 88.5kg (195 lbs) and my bike is taller than stock by 2.5cm (1") front and 7.5cm (3") rear. And, despite the lift, the center of gravity has been lowered. And the suspension is stiffer than most... Maybe I just don't notice it?

all fuel here has 95+ octane levels, so yea maybe travis is correct and its cuz the fuel adds weight to the top of the bike.. Felt like it too, I didn't get the feeling it wasn't running well.

95 octain sounds like alot but arent the octain rating systems different across the pond compared to US standards?

The fuel in the XS400 is not making that much difference in its speed or handling…I have ridden many bikes. In all the years only one (a 2009 Kawasaki KLR 650) made a difference when the tank was full and it was not in the speed, just it got top heavy (but it was also 5+gallon tank) The XS is a small heavy bike (by today's standards) it has low center of gravity and full or empty should make a very slight difference in handling or speed. If you don't believe this get a plastic mower gas tank and put a cup of gas in it and go for a ride….I hope you break 100mph….but I doubt it.
:bike: :yikes:

Back