Rear Disc Pads locked and keepin me down

groberts1245

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all so I started in on my breaks today on the xs400 I'm restoring. The rear pads are locked onto the disc and the piston that controls them is locked out. Short of pulling the caliper off the disc does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get the pads unlocked? Or alternatively anyone have any idea how to get a rear disc caliper off the disc without taking the axle out as the manual suggests?

EzbzY.jpg

I tried taking out both bolts as the manual suggests. I know that the one I've circled in green isn't going to hold anything in as it's just for the break line. The bolt circled in red is all that seems to really be holding the caliper on but it doesn't seem to want to come loose when that bolt's removed. Has anyone else run into this? Am I really going to have to take the axle out?

60rUY.jpg

zUbXQ.jpg

AAmqe.jpg

should be able to drift it off with a rubber mallet.

failing that, you can withdraw the wheel axle and take the caliper/spacer off.

you will need to strip the piston and seal out and clean as it will be full of gunk causing the seizure.

should be able to drift it off with a rubber mallet.

failing that, you can withdraw the wheel axle and take the caliper/spacer off.

you will need to strip the piston and seal out and clean as it will be full of gunk causing the seizure.

I figured I should be able to just pop it with a mallet. Looking at an exploaded diagram I couldn't find anything else that would actually be holding the caliper on other than that one bolt.

Back