Rear Master Cylinder Refurbishment Kit

roloscot

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently renovating all the brakes on my 1977 xs400D. They were in a terrible state. The brake fluid looked like Nuttella rather than hydraulic fluid. To get the caliper pistons out of the caliper, I had to heat up the caliper with a heat gun and apply a little help with a rubber mallet. The pistons were f... but I did manage to find a place that sold caliper pistons for xs750 which seem to be the same dimension (38mm and 41.25mm)

I found refurbishment kits for the front master cylinder and caliper refurbishment kits. However I cannot find refurbishment kits for the rear master cylinder which is very frustrating. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, does anyone know what paint can be used to touch up the brake caliper and what paint can be used to restore the front master cylinder housing.

So I have stripped the engine and put in the new pistons and rings, refurbished the carbs, new tires. This is turning into a major rebuild.:(

Not sure about the brakes, as I have XS650 wheels and drums at that....but I was wondering about your pistons and rings. Are these stock size or overbore, and where did you get them from. Thanks man.

Hi,

I have had the cylinder re-bored one size from stock and the piston and ring set is one size up from stock. Now comes the fun part. I think that I got the oversized pistons from Bike Bandit or Babbits.

The really hard part is the piston rings. I bought a set from Ebay and a joker sent me a set for one piston - very frustrating. However I did get a set from Rusty Rider (2 Cylinders!!!). My advice is look on Ebay because it would seem to me that one size from stock is not available anymore.

I am not sure if this helps

Hi,

However I cannot find refurbishment kits for the rear master cylinder which is very frustrating. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, does anyone know what paint can be used to touch up the brake caliper and what paint can be used to restore the front master cylinder housing.

So I have stripped the engine and put in the new pistons and rings, refurbished the carbs, new tires. This is turning into a major rebuild.:(

speedsport have 1 in stock $90:yikes: part # 1u4-w0042-50
the same part # for 1979 SR500F. on boats.net $70
cheapest NWvintagecycleparts $46

the only paint to stand up to brake fluid is powder coat!

Hi,

Many thanks for the brake advice - you saved the day!!!!! I decided to just do a google on brake caliper paint. I found this company called G2 USA that does a kit to paint brake calipers (www.g2usa.com). I will give this a go and see whether it works well. I agree that the only permanent solution would be powder coating.

Yet again thanks.

Back