Rear sprocket removal.

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ok since I have my rear tire off for rear brake repair Im going to change my sprockets and chgain also.
What Im wondering since I flattened the tabs and removed the 4 nuts theres a snap ring clip that has to be removed and a plate behind it.Is this all that needs to be done to complete the removal other than I need to get a set of snap ring pliers.

yep, its that simple. Don't forget you need new tabs and note any spacers behind the sprocket

image.jpeg
Man it sounds simple but it's definitely not easy. I can stretch the clip but thats as far as i get. How do I take it out?

An extra set of hands may help but you can do it yourself. Stretch it out, take a small flat head screwdriver and stick it in behind the clip then pry it up and out.

Edit: I only have a cheap pair of snap ring pliers but even with them I had to use the screwdriver to help get it out since they were maxed out with that size ring.

image.jpeg
An extra set of hands may help but you can do it yourself. Stretch it out, take a small flat head screwdriver and stick it in behind the clip then pry it up and out.

Edit: I only have a cheap pair of snap ring pliers but even with them I had to use the screwdriver to help get it out since they were maxed out with that size ring.
Yeah I bought some at autozone and the max range they stretched the ring was barely enough. I had to use another nose plier to pick it out.
However I still want to take out the screws and maybe the axle? Id like to just have the bare rim to take it to get it sand blasted and painted.

Snap ring plyers are your friend!!!! I did mine with the screwdriver method. It's a fairly stiff snap ring and you should be careful not to open it up too much so it doesn't loose it's tension. I did mine with no help. Take your time & it'll be easy!!!!

Back