Rear tire size/chain question

cturek

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have the 80 SG model which has the 16" rear rim. When I ordered my tires, the charts said a 130 was the max my 2.5 rim could take, and I read posts where 130 would fit on the 400. The 130 is too large on my bike. I'm thinking that the swingarm and brake stay are maybe smaller due to the 16 inch rim on my model. All other models have an 18" rear tire. Those were probably the posts that I read where the 130 fit possibly.

You can see, the tire is all the way back and is up against the right side of the swing arm. The tire isn't straight either, If I try to straighten it, it pushes harder against the swingarm. The brake stay cannot get close to being connected.

5440286188_04178234b2_z.jpg

So I have to order another tire. The book says 120/90-16. That's only 10mm narrower than the 130 and the 130 is grossly too large. Anybody with a 16" rear rim running the 120 OK? If the 120 doesn't fit, I'll be buying a third tire. If that happens, I'm going to feel like one royal dumbass, something I'm trying to avoid.

While I'm asking stupid questions, with my new sprockets, I also bought a 530 102 link chain and it's too short by 2 inches with the wheel all the way forward and jammed up against the swingarm on the other side (with the 130 tire). How many links is standard for the 80 SG? Looks like I have to buy another chain also.

It's going back together now. Here's a sneak peek of the headlight/gauges.

5439687827_a62f030c03_z.jpg

I have an '82 Heritage Special with a 130 on the back.

That tire rubs the chain on one side and the swingarm on the other.

Just bought the bike in September.

Oh - and hi everyone!

I have a '82 Special, it had 120/90/16 on the back, its the factory size and it fits well.

I have a 120/90/16 on the way from Bike Bandit. I'm still messing with the chain alignment while waiting for the tire. I have the chain running true towards the front sprocket, but the front sprocket teeth want to rub the inside face of the chain as the chain engages the teeth at the top of the sprocket. I hope this is normal and not a sign of possibly a bent frame throwing the sprocket out of square. I'm used to my Seca's shaft drive where you just "fill it and forget it".

Last week the temp was 4 degrees in St. Louis. Today it hit 71. starting to get the itch!

Back