Rear tire

BadLuck

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, would some tell me if a 130/90/16 will fit my 1980 xs400 ? the present tire is
a 120/90/16. It does look like i might have to do a little grinding to the chain guard.
thank you for any input

On his '81, my son has a 130/90x16 on the rear factory spoked rim. It clears everything but each manufacturers tires are a little different, even for the same size. You won't know for certain until you try.

Thank you for your reply. I just bought a 130/90/16 shinko from bikebandit for the rear and a 100/90/18 shinko for the front. i looked at most of the tire makes and that was the one tire pattern that i like and the didnt offer any of the sizes that are on the bike now

Shinko tires are good tires for a good price. They bought the cycle and scooter tire division from Yokohama Tires. You didn't say if you have spoked or cast rims. I have the same size front on my '80 and a 120/90x16 rear.

well, like you said, i will have to try it, but i have a feeling i might be sending it back.
i dont have the best of luck, or want to spend alot on tires

Check your rims carefully. If they are stamped "Suitable For Tubeless Tires" you won't need tubes or rim liners. The 120/90 is the stock recommended rear size and I am pleased with my set of those sizes.

ok, thank you for the replies. i am not even going to mess with trying this tire, im just going to send it back and keep looking for the proper size and a pattern i like

Back