rear wheel internals, need some help

FUBAR

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
good morning, im just trying to piece back together my wheels with the new bearing i ordered. i got most of it right using the haynes, but i cant seem to find these 4 black plastic washers in the diagram.

i know they came off of the rear because i bagged and labeled everything. anybody got a idea? thanks

rearwheelbearingorderxs400.jpg

oh i see, the 4 studs coming off the wheel its self. thanks drewpy, caught you at a good time on ere this morn!

thank you for the photo, was about to pay $70 and hour shop time to get my front and rear tires up to snuff with new bearings, They didnt have a liscenced mechanic on duty and were worried about the spacer and re-assembly considering I took it apart for them. I figured I was saving them a couple hours but I had just confused them.

Incedentally I realize that the bearings will come to a stop on the inner lip where the bearings are housed so there should be no hickups. I gave a quick sanding to the rod, the wheel where the bearings will sit, and went a bit rougher sanding the inside of the spacer as I had gouged it somewhat when removing the bearings.

I am planning on putting my bearings in the freezer for a day before install so they shrink up and should go in place with not much effort.

Side question relative to wheel assembly - is there a spacer involved in the rear tire assy, because I have one washer (that is thin and seems more like a spacer) that I can not remember where it came from. It came from a bag of bolts used for front and rear tire assy, steering assy, or the cover too the gearbox. It is hard to identify because there is only one, and most other nuts and bolts come in pairs or sets. Its too small for the rods that go through either tire as well as steering stem. I am stumped, but am greatfull for the photo! :confused:

Back