Rear wheel sprocket dampers

cjxs

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
While taking off the rear wheel to fit a set of new sprockets and a new chain I noticed that the old sprocket was no holding on firmly in it's place. It was wobbling quite hard. After I took it off I noticed that the rubber dampers were completely ruined because the sprocket appeared to be homemade and I guess it wasn't balanced properly.
Boats.net has those dampers, but they cost almost 40 bucks a piece and I need 4 of them shipped to Ukraine which means I'll have to spend more than 150 dollars on dampers alone. Too expensive...

The question is if there's any alternative available? If not, I'm thinking of buying a rear wheel from a 1979 XS400F provided it has dampers in a good shape. Will it fit xs400 special? I now have a 16 inch rear wheel and was considering going 18 anyway.

Last edited:
Well, that wheel won't work, didn't notice it was for a disc brake. Is there by any chance someone here who has a set of those dampers or a 18" drum brake wheel that is up for sale?

I know what you are referring to as my kz's have them but I wasn't aware that the xs400's did. On both of my 400's the sprocket just bolts to the hub.

Last edited:
I know what you are referring to as my kz's have them but I wasn't aware that the xs400's did. On both of my 400's the sprocket just bolts to the hub.

the hub has integral rubber bonded studs, so it may look like its the same thing, but years of dirt makes it look the same.

I'm talking about the part #8 on this image.

rear-wheel-xs400sh-1981_bigyau0050e-2_dd53.gif

What would be the best alternative set of wheels for my bike that would fit without too much hassle? Is there any interchangeable solution? I'd prefer a set of spoked 18 inch wheels (disc brake for front and drum for rear).

:confused: Yes I know this. I was just saying that there are plastic spacers between the sprocket and the hub it don't just bolt on to the hub:)

Well I guess the spoke wheels are different, mine don't have those things. So technically I wasn't completely wrong, it looks like the studs are part of the hub on the spoke wheels. Maybe try and find some cheap spoke wheels?

my spokes have dampers in them. they all need dampers or the drive chain snatch would be really harsh!

Can't remember but I think my 80 with a 16" rim don't have the rubber inserts because it looked odd to me at the time.

So, is there any alternative that is know to work? What other popular motorcycle wheels can I be looking for?

Posted via Mobile

my tracker's dampers were replaced with a void bush by a PO.

had to used a nut and bolt to fix the sprocket on

hello gentlemen..recently purchased 79 .. kind of a frankenstein, half, 79 half 81..funny, but nonetheless entertaining. . . Rear sprocket loose, found this,(see picture below)..how do I replace these, or should I just buy a new rim.?. Searched on here for an hour, but coming up short with answers..

Finally, got it fired up, but no put-put cause we aint got the rubber. good and bad.!.haha
photo.php

ok..guess my photo didnt work..in summary, the bolts that hold the sprocket to the rim, i believe are called cush drive? dunno exactly, have been ripped from the rubber cylinders that are pressed into the rim..They will definitely not hold the sprocket to the rim, let alone be safe to operate. .every single one..haha..

..So, I am curious if this can be remedied or simply purchase a new rim. Now I noticed the diagram above with the part number labeled as #8..however, after seraching on cms, I cannot find the same schematic nor the part number. I am in need of your professional expertise and experience oh wise men of the forums that hold the future to my riding excellence..haha. Thanks.!

man..!.way pricey. Hmmm. I wish there was a way to use bolts. However, there is not a place in the hub to secure the bolts, just empty holes where the damper studs go. . I've seen rear wheels for about $75 online. I may just have to shell it out. Way less expensive than purchasing the studs and seems easier..

Me and my brother took a wheel bearing puller and tried..but it snapped the pullers lip off.!>. maybe some liquid nitrogen or something crazy would help. Possibly, heat up the outer rim that encases the damper with a torch or something..?.

LuckyEight, How did you manage to remove them from the hub.?.Thanks.!.

I've tried everything. Only hammer and some sharp chisel (or how it's called in English) did the job :D First of all I've drilled some rubber out to make a space and then cut the metal bushings and remove them. With some patience it was done without any damage. New ones were pressed inside without any problems

Last edited:
Back