rec/reg & wiring doubt

vectred

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have problems with the electrical system
I have a yamaha xs400 special II my1981
I've already bought a reg / ret all in one rr38 and I had to change the male input male input pin
Now I see that the battery is overcharging ... at the minimum of the laps it is already at 14.9
I also noticed that the right coil is very hot while the left coil is very cold
You should make some changes to wiring? Or is there any other way to do that?
I followed this diagram
please help me!!!

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,145
Did you actually wire your bike with that diagram? Exactly as shown?
It's not for our bikes. Is the left ignition coil even hooked up?

As for the RR38... It's also not for your bike, but if you rewired per that diagram you may have compensated for the difference.
What rpm is the bike at when you're reading 14.9V?
Depending on the rpm you're measuring at that's not actually out of spec for the bike.

Yes, I connected the three white threads that go to the alternator, the red thread to the red thread, and the black thread that goes black, this combination of wires is enclosed in a 6-wire connector.
Then there is another combination of threads where the colors are brown and green
14.9 in output is relative to the minimum 1000 / 1200rpm

15.5--15.7
I also have problems with the battery, which comes out of acid (I think for the overload of current)

Regulator doesn't seem to be regulating.
Could be a wiring issue. Could be that it's the wrong regulator for your year of bike. Could be defective.
Could be a combination of all those factors.

Hard to say what's going on with the wiring if it's been modified with the wrong diagram.

Was there a reason you switched from the stock regulator?

Yes .... in fact there was always the same problem .....
Was overcharging ..... the battery after 2/3 weeks of use lost charge
And acid leakage battery ...

Have you done all the charging system tests in the manual?
3x stator resistance tests
1x field coil resistance test

See if they're within spec. The Yamaha and Haynes manuals are available for download on the forum.

The stator was replaced, although we checked and found that both worked perfectly

Which rec / reg should i mount?
Now with this current rec / reg what should i do to make it work?
I read somewhere in the forum that you had to connect some wire to the coil field ...... but I did not understand very well ......

Honestly, not really. Too much weird stuff going on to speculate.
The usual problem is that alternator output is too low, not too high.
The stock regulator apparently had the same problem and the new regulator didn't change anything, so I'm not going to recommend replacing it again.
Was the output too high with the stock regulator before you rewired the bike?

You've rewired according to a diagram for a different bike. That's enough to make any troubleshooting over the internet near-impossible. Even if you had an XS650 I wouldn't recommend that diagram.
The regulator you've put in is for earlier models of XS400 so the fact that you are getting any voltage at all is weird enough. Maybe you fried it? Maybe it's wired in an incorrect way that is causing the overcharging. Maybe it's wired in an incorrect way that compensated for it being the wrong type of regulator?

No idea.

My first recommendation would be to return to the stock wiring harness. At least that would eliminate some of the unknowns. Short of that I'd get the stock wiring diagram, understand it, identify the differences between the two diagrams, and revert all differences to how the stock diagram is shown.

You haven't followed up on the ignition coil problem. What's going on there?

Back