Recently rejetted/tuned carbs won't start when choked.

nculver

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a 77 xs400, and I am having some issues I know you all can help me with!

I recently (had a mechanic) rejected my carbs. When I got the bike home, I balanced the carbs, and reset the air screw to the recommended settings (3 turns out). The bike runs SO SO good... once it starts. Before I started messing with everything, it would start on the 1st or second kick (electric starter doesn't work yet). Now that I have the carbs 'tuned' it won't start with the choke knob out, it only starts with the choke knob in, and I have to turn the throttle a little. Several kicks later, it will finally start. As soon as I pull the choke knob, the RPMs shoot way up. I am assuming this has something to do with my air screws, maybe my idle setting.

Once the bike is warmed up it idles around 1500, and I didn't really do much tweaking of the air screws, maybe out a half a turn, I can't really remember.

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this before?

Thanks in advance!

I experience the exact same thing pretty frequently. Has anyone determined a cause in the past three years?

Would have asked the original poster why he messed with it after his mechanic had it running well.

What have you done to your bike since it ran well?

Back