Redo stock air filter with paper?

BBS360

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So I had this happen yesterday:
20140913_175109 (Medium).jpg

A start-up attempt after a wet compression test resulted in filter chunks getting blown back out of the air box. Maybe I didn't turn it over enough after the wet test, before putting the sparks back in.
The filter is really old and I did slightly tear the material last time I took the right-side air box apart.

I'm guessing there must be a timing issue to allow that much back-pressure. Thought it was set properly but it was difficult to align the RF mark while adjusting the timing.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone thinks replacing the damaged filter material with filter paper would work?
I've mocked it up on the damaged filter:
20140914_183809 (Medium).jpg

I will seal it permanently if it has a chance of working.

I will probably buy new stock filters eventually. Just looking for something that will work that i can use immediately while I try to get the bike running.

new filters are not that expensive, would probably be more trouble than its worth to ghetto-rig it and go through the frustrations of not being able to get it to run or run well

Lol. It's not tuned at all yet. :)
The use of foam to redo the filters has been recommended on here previously but without knowing the porosity or ppi of the stock filters it seemed like as much of a crap-shoot as the filter paper idea.

I'll look into ordering stock filters. It'll have to be ebay or a dealer. Mike's doesn't ship to Canada and xs650direct does not carry them.

Funnily enough some of the Ebay filters from Germany appear to use filter paper rather than foam. Might try the paper while I wait for new ones to arrive, just to see what happens.

As a temporary solution I would stuff filter with slightly oil-wet bunch of fishing line, or plastic loofa, or something like that. That is how old filters were made :)

Back