Regulator Rectifier Stator

a1steaksauce

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own an SOHC XS400 as of today !
when wired to a new battery this thing runs beautifully but it wont charge the old battery.
Thus I figured that I would try to replace the Regulator and Rectifier (which were cheap on ebay) and then replace the stator/alternator.
However, this bike has a weird wiring system which I cannot fully understand yet
So I was wondering a couple of things:
1) Can my 1978 SOHC XS400 use the same stator as a DOHC XS400?
2) Which parts of the Stator would I need to replace? Is this sufficient? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-197...R-MAGNETO-ROTOR-FIELD-COIL-COVER/132820605606
3) The Haynes Manual doesn't cover changing the regulator nor the rectifier and so I imagine I just plug the wires in respectively. However, can there be damage done if I put the wrong wires in the wrong places? Do you have any tips for figuring out which wires to put in where?

Thanks everyone and I know I'm asking for a quite a bit. I'm doing my own researching simultaneously and hopefully will update the thread as I go. However I would appreciate all the help!

also does anyone have any leads as to which Regulators+Rectifiers to buy? I'm afraid to buy used because I know they are often bad and was wondering which new parts I could buy instead.
To be clear my bike utilizes a separate regulator and rectifier and I would prefer not using the combo ones because I am extremely new to wiring

im planning on just buying used ones and testing their voltages to see if they'll be any good.
are the 1977 rectifiers the same as 1978 rectifiers?

Back