Removed directional lights and neutral/headlamp panel. Now no headlamps

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
As the title says I unplugged the stock directional lamps and also the panel that has the neutral light on it.Prior to doing this I had headlamps and horn, now I have neither. Is there a bypass I need to make since I took these out of the system?

Have not got that far on mine yet but do you have a wiring schematic to look at ? I know all the wires in my headlight looked like a rats nest......

Have not got that far on mine yet but do you have a wiring schematic to look at ? I know all the wires in my headlight looked like a rats nest......
yes, I have one from the Haynes manual,except for those changes I did nothing to the electrical.

Sounds like unplugging a few things some how disrupted the flow ? Maybe plug them back in and see what one it was ? If I had to bet I would think the neutral light that may be the one to cause problems.

Sounds like unplugging a few things some how disrupted the flow ? Maybe plug them back in and see what one it was ? If I had to bet I would think the neutral light that may be the one to cause problems.
I am in process of doing just that. I have installed a perch with brake light switch on it, solving that problem and I have isolated the leads for my new speedo and also the tail light circuit. I am hoping it's a face palm moment when I find it. The bike is cranking now, have not got it to fire but that should be a straight forward fix from here.

I have traced and tested the harness at various points. I now have tail light and brake lights from both front and rear. Testing at headlamp I have no power to either the yellow or green wire. The same at blue/yellow/ black connector. I removed the headlamp switch and there appears to be no power there either. I get lost in the schematic from there. Any suggestions from here?

There is a headlight relay that keeps the headlight off until the bike is running.
The stock handlebar controls are still connected?

Thank you so much for your help. I will take a look and see. I believe the problem to be that the bike is not running, I was not aware of there being such an override. Hours spent chasing a non-problem!! Hahahahaa!

The 80 xs400 headlight relay is under the fuel tank up front by the frame neck. They (also a safety relay) where moved in 81 to under the middle of the frame next the the bottom of the battery box.

Thanks again, feel like a fool chasing something that doesn't exist. Now I can get back to getting it started it.My brother supplied a battery that he had but I don't think it has enough cranking amps,went dead pretty quickly. will try again when it's charged back up or replaced with the proper battery.

Back