Removing relays.

ksqrly

XS400 Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi all. I am building a wiring harness and using parts of the stock harness. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the safety start relay.

I figured out to get rid of the side stand relay all you need to do is clip the blakc/white wire from the ignition. The idea of the relay is when the blk/wht wire is grounded the igniton wont run. So. just cutting of the wire should over ride your kickstand switch. It is a normally closed relay, where as most others are normally open. Or it might be the other way around, not sure. The difference is that while most relays connect wires when supplied by a signal, the side stand relay seperates the wires when supplied with a signal. In conclusion when the sidestand is down the blk/wht wire is dissconected form the ground.

So to overide the clutch nuetral relay do I just splice the two ignition wires that run through the relay?

In theory a relay should have at least two pairs of wires running through it. One pair controls the relay; opening and closing it. The second pair of wires is the circuit being controlled. So, the controller pair can be eliminated and the controlled pair just needs to be joined. You'd just have to check the wiring sheet to find out which is which.

I remember this being asked about in the past; you might be able to find another post going in to more detail.

I always think about starting a thread, but then I find one that is similar to what I want to ask.
Hopefully it's chill to add on to this thread, even if it's a totally newb question.

I put my bike all together and was stoked, til I realized the wiring is garbage. Now the engine is off and the wiring harness completely taken apart. Looking at a diagram, there are a few things I don't think I'll need.

I'm using the diagram below... it seems to be similar to what how my bike is wired.
View attachment 3857

I assume the turn signal canceler unit isn't necessary right? It just automatically turns your signals off once you've made the turn similar to a car?

In that Diagram, what are the "brush assemblys" and "meter lights".

I took of my entire cluster in the middle and am only running a small speedometer. I'm considering just removing all of those wires, but I'd need to keep one for the speedometer backlight. Any idea on the easiest way to do that?

Thanks guys! the weather is getting nice in Utah and I keep getting more and more stoked to ride, but this thing is nowhere near ready. It's just the wiring that's killing me.

Cafe newb. You have a Maxim right? I told you where to find the correct diagram. The link you are showing is not the correct diagram for the dohc models. Download the correct one and it will be much easier.

You dont need the canceling unit and the maxim doesnt have brush assemblies or meter lights

Yeah, I ended up getting the correct one and compared it with the colored one. My brain just interprets the colored one so much easier. But, I'm going to get nowhere with it, so I might as well figure out the correct one.

Anyone know if the xs650 OEM wiring harness will work for an xs400 of the same year?
If I butcher this one entirely, $90 from MikesXS doesn't seem too bad for a brand new one.

Back